What to buy 1980/1990 race bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have been thinking about getting an older race bike 1980/1990 ish but don't know nothing about what is a good buy or not?
So some tips would be helpful please.
Don't mind having to replace stuff or even having it repainted as long as the frame is sound. Not too worried about price but just want a fair price.

Cheers.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd suggest start by looking at what make / model you like. There's different brands, tube manufacturers, etc. Work out what you would like, then start to look at what prices they sell for, not what they're on sale for: eBay's sold prices help here.

I like old Peugeot's and Raleigh's - having had a lot go through my hands in the past 5 years. Oh, and Principia bikes. I like those very much - but they're a bit newer. Now I'm looking at slightly different ones - I'm currently doing a 1975 Carlton Corsa restoration and conversion with my son. That cost me just £4 to buy but the complete replacement (repaint, new wheels, tyres, bars, crank, bottom bracket, etc.) is a lot more expensive.

@biggs682 will be along shortly who buys more than I do - generally wider makes.

Often a first older bike from the Raleigh stable or Peugeot is easier as spares are more available. The odder they get then this becomes a bit more complicated.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DCLane thanks
@Boon 51 are you ready for this change in your life ?
My advice would be too look for a decent frame tubing ie Reynolds or Columbus as normally i would say they would be better made
What are you going to use it for ?
Do you want to build on a frame only purchase or are you after a complete bike ?
Building from a frame up always cost more than you expect imho
Now is the time to buy as some bargains are out there for sure as @DCLane says
Check facebook marketplace , gumtree and local auction houses for bikes for sale
I enjoy finding these bikes and enjoy getting them back on the road
Don't hesitate to contact or ask for help
@woodbutcher will be along with his dreamy idea's next

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Check the distance between the two rear dropouts. The spacing determines the number of gears you can fit in. You can cold form (bend) from 126 to 130mm but I would be happier getting a frame with 130 spacing in the first place.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This time of year (Dec-Feb) is a bad time for sellers due to low demand, a good time for buyers. For example, these sold locally to me:

£10 for a Raleigh Pursuit restoration project: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-...ration-project-Spares-Or-Repair-/323591036405
£90 for a working Motobecane sprint: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Ol...6cm-Road-Bike-In-Good-condition-/123458037737
And £100 for a Harry Quinn that had been posted on here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARRY-QUINN-1980-039-s-racing-bike-/223269368952

Lots of choice, a good time to buy. Want a 1975 Raleigh Twenty? :whistle:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
@DCLane thanks
@Boon 51 are you ready for this change in your life ?
My advice would be too look for a decent frame tubing ie Reynolds or Columbus as normally i would say they would be better made
What are you going to use it for ?
Do you want to build on a frame only purchase or are you after a complete bike ?
Building from a frame up always cost more than you expect imho
Now is the time to buy as some bargains are out there for sure as @DCLane says
Check facebook marketplace , gumtree and local auction houses for bikes for sale
I enjoy finding these bikes and enjoy getting them back on the road
Don't hesitate to contact or ask for help
@woodbutcher will be along with his dreamy idea's next

I'm looking for a change of life as I'm retired with a nice comfortable garage most of the tools you would ever need. The bikes I have had in the last few years have all been brand new and I want some thing different. So a nice change in direction would be spot on, I just need a point in the right direction so thanks for the info so far..

Cheers Paul.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
This time of year (Dec-Feb) is a bad time for sellers due to low demand, a good time for buyers. For example, these sold locally to me:

£10 for a Raleigh Pursuit restoration project: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-...ration-project-Spares-Or-Repair-/323591036405
£90 for a working Motobecane sprint: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Ol...6cm-Road-Bike-In-Good-condition-/123458037737
And £100 for a Harry Quinn that had been posted on here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARRY-QUINN-1980-039-s-racing-bike-/223269368952

Lots of choice, a good time to buy. Want a 1975 Raleigh Twenty? :whistle:

Thanks but I was looking to get a bit newer in age. lol

midlife

Guru
That Harry Quinn looks like one of the Jobbies made under the Falcon banner after he had sold his name (but not bought his name back again)....

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think for my first project I will stick with a ready made that might need some love and care.

I picked these 2 up recently and are from smaller independent builders

IMG_20181208_124628934.jpg
IMG_20181102_124330273.jpg

Both are nice ^_^

Good morning,

I am not a dedicated/enthusiast restorer but I did buy a used 531 Ribble quite a few years back as a commute to work bike (17 miles each way) and over the next few years replaced;

Wheels, tyres and tubes
Cassette
Front Mech and cables
Rear Mech and cables
Downtube shifters
Chainset
Pedals
Front and rear brakes and cables
Brake levers

Leaving

Frame
Bars and stem
Saddle
Bottom bracket

as the items on the bike bought.

The Ribble came with friction shifters that slipped all the time so I ended up with Tiagra shifters that were indexed only, and as the rear mech preceded the indexed era and had the wrong cable pull it had to be replaced.

The front mech had the cable clamp thread partially stripped and the chrome was peeling of.

I suspect that the brakes and wheels were put on the bike to sell it as spoke tension was all over the place, the rims were heavily worn and the brakes were longer drop than ideal and couldn't put the whole of the pad onto the rim.

Both chain rings were worn and replaced, then a pedal broke and I got bored trying to remove it so bought a new crank, as this didn't match the other crank ended up replacing the whole chainset.

The cassette was 7 speed and I was finding it hard to get 7sp cassettes with the right sprocket size.

Only the brake lever change was a vanity change as they did work but were horribly scuffed.

So a new Specialized Secteur would have been a better buy and I came to the conclusion that old and heavily used bikes were not projects for me.

Even this bike meant that I had to buy a more modern cassette removal tool, if you have a toolkit designed for Hollow Tech BBs era you may need to do the same and go backwards for older BBs and possibly Campag/Shimano cassette tools depending upon what you buy and what you have.

If you get modern and get one of the first STI equipped bikes then like me you may end up changing some components to be compatible with others as there were a few changes in cable pull between non index, indexed and STI indexed components across the ranges and times.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom