What to buy 1980/1990 race bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I like the bottom one that's some where near where I want to go.

The URL="https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/hardisty.242048/"]Hardisty[/URL]
What can i say . You don't see many .
And that one is still sat in my garage :whistle:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just a quick question. I have 4 bikes all M framed but the standover size is 20mm different between the tallest and shortest. What are the sizes in inches? I'm 5 ft 9 inch. most of the bikes i'm looking at come in inches. so 5ft 5inch to 5ft 8 inch and a 5ft 8inch to a 5ft 10inch would fit.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just a quick question. I have 4 bikes all M framed but the standover size is 20mm different between the tallest and shortest. What are the sizes in inches? I'm 5 ft 9 inch. most of the bikes i'm looking at come in inches. so 5ft 5inch to 5ft 8 inch and a 5ft 8inch to a 5ft 10inch would fit.

I am 5ft 10" and normally ride anything 21 1/2" to 24" frame sizes but i find the 22" area best with stem length to match my required reach between seat post and centre line of bars .

If you are ever passing Wellingborough give me a shout and pop in and try a couple of my retro roadies to get an idea

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have been thinking about getting an older race bike 1980/1990 ish but don't know nothing about what is a good buy or not?
So some tips would be helpful please.
Don't mind having to replace stuff or even having it repainted as long as the frame is sound. Not too worried about price but just want a fair price.

Cheers.
thanks biggs682
Ahh! welcome to the world of dreams and ambitions . Not sure if l would regard 1990's bikes as old ....to me the nice ones are timeless !
I am probably the last person you would want to go to for advice or suggestions . On the other hand to my way of thinking there is only one person that counts in this endeavour and thats you. I say go with your heart and then let your head (and bank balance) sort out the consequences .
Best wishes and bonne chance !:smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Inside leg sir?
I am 5'10" with 32" inside leg and find 21 1/2" frames quite comfortable - although saddle post height and handlebar stem reach can be useful adjustments.

I am 5ft 9 with 30 1/2 inside leg. The Genisis Equllibrium 20 has a stand over of 780mm and that's too high, the Giant Pro 1 TCR carbon has a stand over of 760mm (and that could go smaller) is a much better size.

Top Bottom