What to buy.. hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok so you have had bikes in the past with hydraulic brakes correct? I avoid riding in the rain as well, but occasionally do get caught in it like most people do. I have 2 bikes with rim brakes at the moment and one with hydraulics, and have owned several bikes in the past with hydraulic brakes. I just find my confidence in making quick emergency stops when they come up is better with hydraulics but I also ride somewhat defensively like you do and try to avoid those situations if possible. I will say that my rim brakes do their job sufficiently in most situations.

Yes, I’ve had a couple of flat bar Whyte bikes with hydraulic discs and flat bar bikes with rim brakes, never noted a great difference. Horses for courses, if you like hydraulic disc brakes, buy a bike with those.

Ive never had a road bike with hydraulic discs, I like having secondary brakes (small hands prone to inflammation). More crucially, hydraulic hoods are super fugly monstrosities, so I’d never deface my lovely bikes with a pair of those hideous horns :laugh:

Drzdave58

Über Member
Yes, I’ve had a couple of flat bar Whyte bikes with hydraulic discs and flat bar bikes with rim brakes, never noted a great difference. Horses for courses, if you like hydraulic disc brakes, buy a bike with those.

Ive never had a road bike with hydraulic discs, I like having secondary brakes (small hands prone to inflammation). More crucially, hydraulic hoods are super fugly monstrosities, so I’d never deface my lovely bikes with a pair of those hideous horns :laugh:
Yes ..the asthetics of hydraulic vs rim brakes are like day and night. Personal taste certainly is a consideration.👍🏻

Drzdave58

Über Member
no, the gear shifters (which are also brake levers on a drop bar modern road bike)

no, the gear shifters (which are also brake levers on a drop bar modern road bike)
I have never owned a road bike..so I have absolutely no experience with the shifter built into the brake levers...great looking technology tho...they must perform great...is there any downside to them?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have never owned a road bike..so I have absolutely no experience with the shifter built into the brake levers...great looking technology tho...they must perform great...is there any downside to them?
Can be hard to brake if small hands or some sort of weakness

Top Bottom