What to do after a crash with helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know with motor bikes we were told not to remove helmet after a crash, but my push bike helmet must have a battery to work the lights on it, and likely that battery is the type which can go on fire if damaged are air gets in, so where there are lights built into a helmet should it be removed or not after a crash which has damaged it?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's likely to be a small battery and relatively low voltage, if it was to be pierced or grazed enough that there's a chemical reaction it would probably happen before you stop and you'd want to take it off anyway

Alex321

Veteran
Road bicycle helmets are very different to most modern motorbike helmets.

If there is possible neck damage, it is very difficult to get a full face motorbike helmet off without risk of moving the head and exacerbating the possible injury.

The same is true of full face MTB helmets, but is not true of most road bike helmets to anything like the same extent.

And batteries that operate the in-built lights catching fire is pretty fanciful at best. If there were any significant risk of that, they would not be permitted for use under the relevant standards. And TBH, anything which is going to cause significant damage to such batteries is going to be a big enough impact that the helmet is unlikely to save you anyhow.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If someone with a fire-risk gadget helmet crashes, I think I'd leave the helmet on unless it's on fire. They've made their choice and the risk of fire is probably less than the risk of injury removing the helmet roughly.

Even when I used a helmet, I wouldn't buy one with a fire-prone battery in it. I really do not understand why anyone who accepts the claim that a helmet is a useful safety device for them would then undermine it with gadgets and other bits that serve no core function.

I know with motor bikes we were told not to remove helmet after a crash, but my push bike helmet must have a battery to work the lights on it, and likely that battery is the type which can go on fire if damaged are air gets in, so where there are lights built into a helmet should it be removed or not after a crash which has damaged it?
Dunno what type battery your lid lamp uses but here on planet earth we use tiny coin cells, very bad if swallowed admittedly, but won't your magic hat protect the batteries? And if the batteries did get damaged I suspect you'd be well beyond caring.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I believe that after a crash, it's a tradition to write to CycleChat and tell everybody that a helmet saved your life.

My helmet put a cut in my eyebrow. The surgeon told me that helmets were designed to save lives and not eyebrows. In my instance there is a good chance that it actually did what it was designed for.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_072035_resized_20210128_064056801.jpg
    IMG_20200921_072035_resized_20210128_064056801.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've never been a helmet fan, and now I learn that they can set fire to my head in the event of a crash? :ohmy:
Seriously though, comparing a cycle helmet with a motorbike helmet? Unclip a cycle helmet and it will fall of the user's head, so not going to aggravate any neck injury.
Better still, don't wear one in the first place. If you must, don't add cameras or lights to it, thereby creating additional hazards and nullifying any protection it MIGHT give you.

Top Bottom