What to do if you think you've seen your stolen bike on Ebay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So bassically something happened on the 12th of july which caused my bike to get stolen which is why i haven't been on much, I reported it to the police through their online service as soon as i got home. However I just looked on Ebay and found a bike that looks exactly like mine as it has the same crack and scratches on the front suspension but then it's a common bike. I did give the serial number in but as i said i don't know if it's exactly mine but it's also a bit weird how it's only getting sold for £44. Even the link of where the seller got it from links to the exact same shop where mine is from.

I have a feeling it's mine but then if i contact police and it's a different serial number i don't want to end up waisting their time.

So what should i do?

classic33

Leg End Member
Try bidding on it, or asking a question about the bike. Nothing you may think you know, more general questions about the item.

Question about postage, that sort of thing.

DO NOT give details out about your bike in any question

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Try bidding on it, or asking a question about the bike. Nothing you may think you know, more general questions about the item.

Question about postage, that sort of thing.

DO NOT give details out about your bike in any question

Thanks. i dunno how bidding works, also i dunno any questions which would give more info if it would say it was mine. No postage is available. So i can't ask about that.

Ask to try the bike for size before buying

I don't drive. So that's not possible as it's not where i can get to by train. Also isn't it best not to confront them?

classic33

Leg End Member
Ask a question you might ask in a bike shop, if you were considering buying a bike, size, colour, use.

Those kind of questions.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Ask a question you might ask in a bike shop, if you were considering buying a bike, size, colour, use.

Those kind of questions.

that's the thing those are already stated in description and it's shown as used. So if i was to ask that. They would find it weird as it's already been said

classic33

Leg End Member
Does the seller say why they're selling? Treat it as second-hand and you're wondering why the sale. Ask how old the tyres/chainset are.

Even if they're mentioned all they can do is point it out to you. What you have to avoid asking any question that might get a person thinking you know something. Assuming it is stolen.

Top Bottom