What to do (Pelican Crossings)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This is going to be aimed mostly at people in high arears of population.

I go through a few sets of pelican crossings controlled by lights and the routes mainly used by buses and taxi's. Two of them are outside train stations, one being victoria and the other vauxhall (linky to victoria one)

A lot of people will start crossing at rush hour when they can't see a bus or taxi coming and don't look for bicycles and the red man is still showing and i have a green light.

What i currently do is slow down, shout a watch it or bike back and have to wait for people to stop crossing before i can go. There is so many people that i sometimes have to stop, as it's not safe to go through.

No good...we need videos.;)

Dan B

Disengaged member
gaz said:
What i currently do is slow down, shout a watch it or bike back and have to wait for people to stop crossing before i can go. There is so many people that i sometimes have to stop, as it's not safe to go through.
Sounds about right. They have a right to use the road, you have a duty not to run them down. What was your question? ;-)

nigelb

Um, pull up to a stop, and set off a thunderflash (having donned ear protectors first of course). Way should then be clear to clcye through.

The idea of the little red and green lights is to say who should give way to who, surely?

Weaving through the pedestrians is maybe not such a good idea, they have a habit of moving in most unpredictable ways!

Mostly, this seems to be a game of chicken - they just figure you won't call their bluyff by actually cycling into them.

Nige

As you get to that part of your commute drop behind a vehicle and draft it, peds will stop for the vehicle and you'll get through.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Shouting "Excuse me, you have a red light, I have a green light!" usually causes an antagonistic reaction and letters to the local paper / Daily Wail.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
coruskate said:
Sounds about right. They have a right to use the road, you have a duty not to run them down. What was your question? ;-)

I guess I wasn't clear. But even when I make them aware of my presence they still continue to cross, I've also had peds try to push me off / purposfully try to walk into me even when I waited.

nigelb said:
Um, pull up to a stop, and set off a thunderflash (having donned ear protectors first of course). Way should then be clear to clcye through.

The idea of the little red and green lights is to say who should give way to who, surely?

Weaving through the pedestrians is maybe not such a good idea, they have a habit of moving in most unpredictable ways!

Mostly, this seems to be a game of chicken - they just figure you won't call their bluyff by actually cycling into them.

Nige

doesn't work like that.
They do have a duty of care to check it is clear to cross, the green light is there to say it is safe, you do not have to wait for it if you think it is safe to cross on red.

As traffic, the red light is equivelent to a police officer directing traffic, the highway code states you must give way to peds no matter how annoying

gaz said:
I guess I wasn't clear. But even when I make them aware of my presence they still continue to cross, I've also had peds try to push me off / purposfully try to walk into me even when I waited.

That's assult / afray, ram brolly where you like ;)

nigelb

Black Sheep said:
doesn't work like that.
the highway code states you must give way to peds no matter how annoying

So we can stop a major dual carriageway like the A14 by having a snake of say 50 people crossing in single file, turning round and crossing back again?

Common sense says no, and in any case I suspect you'd find yourself in trouble for causing an obstruction.

I stick by my first thought, its a game of chicken - they think if they stride out purposefully, ignoring the bike, the bike will give way.

A single bike faced by a stream of pedestrians has a problem. Turn it round, a group of 25 bikes travelling at high speed, with a single pedestrian stepping out against a red light? I don't think so.

Btw, I bet the same pedestrians, when they're driving, don't stop for people waiting at pedestrian crossings ...

Nige

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
gaz said:

We are all a bit like sheep and once one of us crosses, the rest often follow blind.

A clear and non threatening shout of "RED LIGHT" may let those who are doing a good sheep impression realise that it is your right of way, but for those who don't care or actively target you for bonus agro, there are really only two ways to deal with it...put up or shut up.

I get this every morning at the back of Kensington Olympia where there is no crossing...or kerb...just block pavia road covering. Pedestrians see no Kerbside definition and wander (en mass) from the statiion platform straight into the road in front of me and large artics that are delivering to the centre

google does not quite catch it, but you get the jist (is that how you spell jist?)

Dan B

Disengaged member
nigelb said:
Btw, I bet the same pedestrians, when they're driving, don't stop for people waiting at pedestrian crossings ...
Fine, so wait for them to get back in their cars and then run them down on a bicycle. But the moral obligation is on the more dangerous party (that's the cyclist, who is carrying more mass and more momentum) to be correspondingly more careful in his interaction with the more vulnerable (that's the pedestrian).

Legally yes, but as a deliberate attempt to obstruct then you would get moved on.

The roads were for people, then horses, then bikes and finally 'horseless carrages' or cars as we've called them for years. Because the rules of the road have been added to as times have changed this is how it stands.

I agree, 2% would stop and let people across when driving.

On another note, if down hill, bombing it and shouting that your brakes won't work can move pedestrians

Top Bottom