What to do (Pelican Crossings)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
to return to the OP. Get a bell, ring it, lound and long, alert them to your presence. If that doesn't work face the awful, incomprehensible, reality that pedestrians have right of way over everyone else. (regardless of how they might behave when they are not pedestrians). and give way. What, apart from bugger all, does that cost?

come weaving through the crowd at someone like me and you may find yourself off your bike and on the floor.

Very busy crossings are an issue due to people following the person in front, rather than following the signals and being aware of what is going on around themselves.

My behaviour was childish, no question, but much better than pushing my way through.

At the crossing in question, the council have started providing marshalls to prevent people from delaying buses and other vehicles because the problem is so bad.
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/n...ty-centre/article-1936612-detail/article.html

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
gaz said:
I guess I wasn't clear. But even when I make them aware of my presence they still continue to cross, I've also had peds try to push me off / purposfully try to walk into me even when I waited.

Thats crappy. I'm the kind of guy who'd lose his rag at that, the moment they try and shove me. ;) You're a better man than me. :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, the whirling chainsaw on the front of my bike convinced all the pedestrians at Victoria to part ways for me. It's bad at the moment with all the roadworks, there's only bus and taxi traffic mostly and that leaves the peds crossing most of the time through the whole green phase for vehicles.

No, I wouldn't really run anyone down, btw.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I had a similar situation this morning coming through Farringdon. Just me, lights on green, coming down the hill at pace. Started repeatedly ringing the bell a good distance away and got mainly blank open mouthed stares. Most of them were probably thinking about throwing their hands in the air and having a rave at the ping, ping, ping, ping, pinging.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
GregCollins said:
to return to the OP. Get a bell, ring it, lound and long, alert them to your presence. If that doesn't work face the awful, incomprehensible, reality that pedestrians have right of way over everyone else. (regardless of how they might behave when they are not pedestrians). and give way. What, apart from bugger all, does that cost?

come weaving through the crowd at someone like me and you may find yourself off your bike and on the floor.
I'd have no qualms about someone doing that if the lights were in the Peds' favour, but if they are crossing deliberately on red when someone on a bike is legitimately trying to use the road and did that it'd be a different matter.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What does the good book say about all traffic lights?

GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear. Take special care if you intend to turn left or right and give way to pedestrians who are crossing (my italics)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
GregCollins said:

GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear. Take special care if you intend to turn left or right and give way to pedestrians who are crossing (my italics)
I agree, but from the OP it sounds like they are just simply ignoring his presence and even trying to assault him upon stopping for those who are actually crossing without even waiting for the lights. It's not (unless I'm misunderstanding it) that a stream of people has started crossing and the lighs change and more continue, they just seem to check for a bus/taxi and if there isn't one they just cross, despite the cyclist.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
GregCollins said:

To a point you're right, but there does come a point when the critical mass of pedestrians start to take the p***. We have to remember there is actually a big reference to the green cross code in the highway code too and that peds have an obligation to cross when its safe - and that defines safe as a good gap in the traffic.

Dan B

Disengaged member
downfader said:
peds have an obligation to cross when its safe - and that defines safe as a good gap in the traffic.
Which law would that be, then?

Seriously, if you were on foot and crossing a stream of pedestrians then in all but the busiest of situations (e.g. a major demonstration, or the end of a concert in Hyde Park) you would have little difficulty in coming out the other side with little time lost, and relying on no artificial aids to "traffic" regulation just on ordinary human politeness. It's only when you expect to ride through at vehicular speeds that you have trouble doing the same on a bike.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
coruskate said:
Which law would that be, then?

Seriously, if you were on foot and crossing a stream of pedestrians then in all but the busiest of situations (e.g. a major demonstration, or the end of a concert in Hyde Park) you would have little difficulty in coming out the other side with little time lost, and relying on no artificial aids to "traffic" regulation just on ordinary human politeness. It's only when you expect to ride through at vehicular speeds that you have trouble doing the same on a bike.

I said obligation, not law. Do try and keep up. :angry: Go read the GCC part of the HC, its all in there. It doesnt say anything about stepping out into oncoming traffic, even if its a bike. :wacko:

Also this sheep phenomonomonomon... load of cobblers. People need to grow some and realise they take responsibility for their own actions. You dont just step out.

EDIT: I will add - have been waiting with other peds at busy crossing before. I tend to look and assertain whats coming before I follow others across

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
downfader said:
Also this sheep phenomonomonomon... load of cobblers. People need to grow some and realise they take responsibility for their own actions. You dont just step out.

EDIT: I will add - have been waiting with other peds at busy crossing before. I tend to look and assertain whats coming before I follow others across

Commuters vs normal peds.... I find commuters to tend to be half a sheep when they step out on mass in the mornings it doesn't seem to happen in the evenings.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I'd have no qualms about someone doing that if the lights were in the Peds' favour, but if they are crossing deliberately on red when someone on a bike is legitimately trying to use the road and did that it'd be a different matter.

You make an interesting point. Everything that follows below is on an iirc basis - I stand to be corrected if you can show me chapter and verse on the matter.

My issue is the assumption that when I'm on foot the red man and the green man have some kind of legal powr over me. They don't they are advisory only. (I stand to be corrected)

However if I'm on/in my bike/motorcycle/car the traffic lights do hold legal power over me and the GREEN light does not mean 'GO - regardless of what is in front of you" but 'Go - if it is safe to proceed'. People in the way, moving across my intended path, well however much we might tut tut at their apparent selfishness surely it means it isn't safe to proceeed?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I agree, but from the OP it sounds like they are just simply ignoring his presence and even trying to assault him upon stopping for those who are actually crossing without even waiting for the lights. It's not (unless I'm misunderstanding it) that a stream of people has started crossing and the lighs change and more continue, they just seem to check for a bus/taxi and if there isn't one they just cross, despite the cyclist.

Yep. I understood that. People on foot still have priority and the right to do just as described. The fact they don't consider the cyclist to be a threat in the same league as a bus or car is irrelevant. Might isn't right.

Top Bottom