What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

i'm seroiusly considering the Triban 3 as my full time commuter - is it "too good" to be left locked up at Paddington though?????????

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not with two monster locks and a rottweiler ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No bikes completely safe, but a £300 bike is better to loose and beat to death than a £700 one in my book and cheaper groupsets are better wasted in the salt grit and grime of commutering than DA. I'd rather have a super-fab best-bike and a cheap but serviceable commuter hack.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Seems sensible, although I do think I'd want to go higher than 2300 and the shifting action puts me off (probably just being a woman about this). I should probably add that realistically I am a fair weather commuter - March to October :blush:

The bike won't get half inched as will be left in a secure carpark two levels underground

defy-one

If it's that secure then yes you could go Tiagra,but i would save money and go Sora. It will makes those rides on the best bike even sweeter :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a trundle around Kingston / Twickenham etc today looking at the options

1) Went to Sigma, nice posh shop but in a totally different league to where I am looking - I think the cheapest bike in the shop was £800 (a pretty much entry level Allez I think) - so chalk that one off

2) Then decided to head to the Giant store in Twickenham, as was riding down there, spotted Moore's Cycles - nice little shop, very helpful chap, had a look at the Defy and the Giant TCX2 - interesting, decided I definitely want Tiagra, the snob in me doesn't like the thumb button Sora - bikes were all full price and no discounts on offer. Discussed sizing and thought the M/L (53.5cm) would work. The Defy and the Avail (female version) have rack lugs (and you can get guards apparently to fit too)

3) Then found the Giant store in Twickenham, locking up the bike noticed they have a sale on...ooh promising. Had a good chat with the chap - they had an Avail in a M - 50cm frame - the Avail 2 is very pretty, Tiagra all round and down from £800 to £639 (or perhaps £679). Had a sit, felt ok, perhaps a bit small, bars quite narrow, stem a bit short - a 54cm TT, could add a longer stem. I also sat on a men's medium (Defy 1 - £800 for anyone interested), which felt better, again perhaps a bit small, felt close to the bars - although the carbon roadbike is a 54.5cm and the M Giant has the same TT. No M/L in the shop to sit on (56cm TT). Also measured the bars - 400mm on the Avail, 420mm on the Defy - latter same as the carbon

The Defy 2 is the same money as the Avail (BUT it's red and black, as is my current bike which isn't ideal).
Avail - pretty - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_gene.../2012/Avail_2_compact_retouched_72dpiWIDE.jpg

Defy, hmmm - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_gene...models/images/2000/Defy_2_compact_GU-edit.jpg

On Monday, they are seeing if there is a M in stock of one or both bikes.

4) a) On way back - went to Evans - chaos, and nothing of interest, b) Specialized Concept store - snore Specialized and all much more money for same spec and no lugs on an Allez c) couple of little LBSs, each had about 6 road bikes. Second - useful chap, talked about rack and guard options on the Giants (a stockist, no discounts, no Defy 2)

So interesting, rode 23 miles, Giant look to offer a good, practical, well priced option - need to see if stock available and then decision time! I guess the Defy would be easier to sell on when I get the change bug again next year, but snore to the paintjob! :girl:

:-) Mirrors my journey, but I started from Twickenham.
1) sigma. I went in there with my folder, could not even catch the eye of a sales droid and then realised they only had one bike in my price range. Then realised they were right to ignore me: the mamils and ymils (just made that up: "young men in lycra") were spending far more than my budget on helmets and nutritional products.
2) Moores: huge fans of their service, but couldn't get any satisfaction from them on road bikes. I've bitched about that elsewhere, so won't go through it again. BUT when I spent £160 on a bike service and within a couple of hours the rear hub failed, they gave me a new rear wheel and chain ring for no further cost. This was their Twickenham branch.
3) Giant, what can I say: they got my money. I don't pass the store, so if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have know the price has dropped. :angry:
4) Evans Kingston: always a scrum. Specialized: apparently owned by the people that own Sigma. You can tell.

Happy shopping

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers again! Sorry about mentioning the price drop - unfortunately, always happens around this time of year as stocks are being cleared in readiness for for new models :smile: I am not sure if they'll be able to get me one - Cyclesurgery claim to have for £700 but would prefer to buy locally from Giant - got a good vibe from the lad I spent quite a long time chatting with.

They did have a Defy 1 for £800 in my size, but I don't really want to spend so much

Edit - been out again - Wallington Cycles are a local Giant Dealer and have 20% off but no medium in either an Avail or a Defy 2.
Note for anyone looking - they had a Defy 1 in an ML for under £850

I then went to Cyclesurgery on Purley Way Croydon after looking at the website. They actually had a Defy 2 medium (also an ML or an L) at £700 but no Avail. I had a sit on the Defy M - felt big and the styling so does nothing for me (I have a red and black bike that is about a hundred times prettier). However, the nice chap looked on the computer and the company has one Avail 2 in an M left at Highbury shop so he is getting it down for me this week - sat on the Avail 3 they had in the shop, M felt good. CS do interest-free finance too which is nice.

I shall go for this if Twickenham Giant cannot source at £639 (called Bromley, no joy - Radlett have one apparently but miles away from here).

So who wants a lovely Sirrus Elite for a good price ;)

henshaw11

:-) 4) Evans Kingston: always a scrum. Specialized: apparently owned by the people that own Sigma. You can tell.

FWIW, the Specialized Concept store is run by Sigma.
http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/about-kingston-store/

Evans Kingston used to be a franchise when it was Kingston Cycles, that came under the Evans banner, but the name changed a long time. Dunno their shops are still franchises or not
http://www.evanscycles.com/help/about-evans-cycles

Another road shop in the area is Surbiton Cycles, which I've seen get some favourable mentions on another forum - they've a place at the Marina on Portsmouth Road. I think they may have another shop in the centre of Surbiton too.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant store in Twickenham cannot get me an Avail 2 so will need to go for the more expensive CS one.

However, again for anyone interested, they do currently have a Medium Defy 2 (I think £639 which is a very good price for a Tiagra bike) :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, no Giant stores have an Avail 2, none in the warehouse either. Cyclesurgery are doing for £699, still a £100 discount :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Right, the Avail 2 is in and the Sirrus is sold...plan to get the new wheels tomorrow. Before I take the big plunge, is there anything else I should be considering - must take my Topeak DX rack (bosses, not seatpost), mudguards, have Tiagra/SRAM Apex minimum and be available in a shop not only online. I don't seem to fit a Defy 2, nor do I want a black & red bike!

Max £700 and no Specialized.

I am more than happy with the Avail (esp as hoping for 0% finance), just need to be sure I am not missing anything totally obvious

Cheers :thumbsup:

Top Bottom