What to eat before a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisb1357

Über Member
Hi all

I know this might have been asked so many times but i thought i would ask anyway.I have just got back into cycling after not cycyling for over 7 months. Last weekend was my first 13 miles ride as i use to only ride 6 miles before and i plan to do around 13 to 15 miles this week again. On the first ride i felt like i had ran out of energy half way round even that i took a good supply of water.

What items is it best to eat before and after a ride as the problem is i get in from work and only have an hour before i go out on the bike.

Many Thanks

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I tend to have porridge oats with skimmed milk and honey before a long ride, this sets me up for 40 miles plus, if longer I need to fuel on route.
A lot of people swear that chocolate milk is a great recovery drink, but to be honest I just make sure I have a good meal and drink plenty of fluid afterwards.
Some of the lack of energy you will be suffering will just be the fact you are out of condition though and you will need to work on your stamina by gradually upping your distances.

Nosaj

Chris,

I will echo Hacienda for a 13 mile bike ride (assuming that is not being done in excess of 20mph avg) proper fuelling will be a secondary issue to your current fitness level. Just eat normally and get out on your bike, the good thing is that the fitness comes back quicker than if you started totally from scratch.

For a ten mile TT I eat normally during the day but make sure I have a banana in the afternoon and a cereal bar on my way to the event (as well as upping my water)

For a sedate morning ride with the CTC where we would average say 12.5 - 13mph I have run late sometimes and turned up with just a cup of coffee inside me (not advised) + my water bottle. But I got me to the food stop 19 miles later without any real issues.

EDIT: If you are riding first thing in the am you cannot go far wrong with a bowl of porridge Just re read your post. You cannot go far wrong with a banana or cereal/oat type bar as your pre ride snack.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Many thanks for the tips.
When i go out for an evening ride after work i tend to have a wholemeal sandwitch, banana, ceral bar and a yoguart at work around 1pm for my lunch and then my plan is when i get home around 5pm to have something like egg on toast or pasta before going out an hour later on the bike. Will this be ok

Also going to take a flapjack bar for unroute incase

Nosaj

Many thanks for the tips.
When i go out for an evening ride after work i tend to have a wholemeal sandwitch, banana, ceral bar and a yoguart at work around 1pm for my lunch and then my plan is when i get home around 5pm to have something like egg on toast or pasta before going out an hour later on the bike. Will this be ok

Also going to take a flapjack bar for unroute incase

For general cycling that will be more than sufficient, try spacing out your lunch a bit (if you can at work) so you have the cereal bar then the banana a little later in the afternoon and you would not have to eat as much 1 hour prior to the ride.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Off out for a 13 or 15 mile ride tonight which is the 2nd ride for me this year. Plenty of hills as well

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I use two things , one the 2min microwave golden syrup porridge , and second High 5 drink .

Used em for years and never have any energy issues , just laziness moments.

Randochap

Senior hunter
It depends what works for you. One man's fuel is another's belly ache. You might try also try carrying some liquid food along to top up. There are many options on the market. Even a run-of-the-mill sports drink may help, not only with hydration and nutrition, but also to balance electrolytes.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Shredded wheat with plenty of sugar, does me for 40 + miles, always carry plain water.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
HI all,

We i decided for 2 poached eggs on wholemeal bread and some baked beans followed by half of small flapjack before i went out on Thur night which was ment to be for 10 miles but got home and i had done 16.2 miles which is a new record for me. Got pass the places i stopped at before without stopping and had the other half of flap jack half way round. My avg speed was only 10mph.

Chris

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
HI all,

We i decided for 2 poached eggs on wholemeal bread and some baked beans followed by half of small flapjack before i went out on Thur night which was ment to be for 10 miles but got home and i had done 16.2 miles which is a new record for me. Got pass the places i stopped at before without stopping and had the other half of flap jack half way round. My avg speed was only 10mph.

Chris

Well done! The miles will come as you get used to riding.

Holy Warrior

HI all,

Chris

This is exactly what happens, make sure you eat like a king afterwards too. I personally find (everyone is different you just have to experiment) that I start to feel a bit hungry after 30/35 miles so if i'm planning a route around that, or longer, i'll make sure that i've got some stuff with me and make sure I eat it a good 5/10 miles before this point. I like to take one plain water and one fruit juice/ extra water combo with a few oat bars stuffed in my back pockets, maybe a banana too.

Keep at it and those miles will keep jumping up!

Top Bottom