What to eat before or after a 10 mile commute? Getting home and feeling a bit sick and faint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Yes, just hydrate before the ride.

If overweight you have a useful 20 mile run to get down to a desired goal within a year or less.
And having lost that weight, that 20 miles likely becomes easy.

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks for the replies, that is useful. I have runkeeper running and it tells me I burn about 1000 calories a day, so was guessing I'd need to replenish that in extra calories per day.

Shaun... yes I do push myself to get home quicker. Tend to skip breakfast a lot on weekends but not weekdays when I'm cycling. It'll be 1 weetabix just before leaving and then fruit when I arrive at work. Because 2 weetabix makes me feel a bit full and I think its bad to exercise when you're full right?

Come to think of it, the days I've felt rough probably are the days I've not drank as much water now. At least I now know that I dont need big changes to my diet (well I probably do actually, because its not great, but atleast not for the cycling).

And yeah I need to start drinking during the ride too. I've been putting off getting a water bottle cage attached but really ought to.

I would strongly recommend you forget about calories burned. I tried the calories in (MyFitnessPal) and calories out (MapMyRun) for years, and I steadily put on weight.

I've finally lost most of that.

I would suggest that you had a break from commuting and your body is just getting used to it again. Your body will demand food if it needs it, you won't waste away.

I started 30 mile commutes in November and took in snacks on the way, by January I didn't need that anymore, and started losing the excess fat slowly.

I might have a bowl of porridge or fruit and fibre half an hour before hitting the road.

PenttitheFinn

Another one here who advocates drinking a chocolate milk drink after a ride.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...secret-powers-chocolate-milk-mo-farah-runners

The fact that it has, evidently, nutritional benefits is a bonus for me as I love cold full-fat chocolate milk.
Have you any idea what "Chocolate Milk" Mo drinks. I have always enjoyed milk,and enjoy 70% cocoa dark chocolate, but not together. Cadburys drinking chocolate is mostly sugar, so Ovaltine would be better !

PenttitheFinn

Moi, Penti, mita kuuluu!

Don't know if this article helps, otherwise you could just google 'Mo Farah chocolate milk/drink'.
Moi Dayvo, Hyva kittos, I have looked it up without success, but I think I will just melt a square of Green and Blacks, or Co-op fairtrade into a cup of milk, and pretend I need it. Truth is I am a long way of serious mileages and only cycle for fun and fitness !

Moi Dayvo, Hyva kittos, I have looked it up without success, but I think I will just melt a square of Green and Blacks, or Co-op fairtrade into a cup of milk, and pretend I need it. Truth is I am a long way of serious mileages and only cycle for fun and fitness !

Yeah, I think that's probably the best way for us 'non super athletes. :smile: I'm happy to use both melted milk or plain chocolate in cold full milk after a ride. Otherwise, depending on laziness, I'll drink Alpro Soya Chocolate Milk.

Where are you from in Suomi? One of my best mates is from Tampere and I've been there many times, Helsinki, too.

PenttitheFinn

Yeah, I think that's probably the best way for us 'non super athletes. :smile: I'm happy to use both melted milk or plain chocolate in cold full milk after a ride. Otherwise, depending on laziness, I'll drink Alpro Soya Chocolate Milk.

Where are you from in Suomi? One of my best mates is from Tampere and I've been there many times, Helsinki, too.
I'm not, but my mother's side of the family came from Juuka, North Karelia, but I have family all over except the west coast. Going to Lapland again this summer, love the mozzys :scratch:

PenttitheFinn

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
1 glass of water during the day at work isn't enough even if you're driving home. Keep yourself hydrated and you'll notice improvements in lots of areas. Does your job prevent you from drinking regularly throughout the day?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chocolate or any other Nesquick will do just fine, the milk is the really important bit, the Choco is just adding sugar ....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chocolate or any other Nesquick will do just fine, the milk is the really important bit, the Choco is just adding sugar ....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Chris, what you are describing is know as "bonking" in cycling circles. Its when your energy reserves are running out and you are not eating to replace them. But I have never heard of anyone who Bonks at 10 miles. It is usually much, much further.

My first stop if I were you would be the doctors for a Well man check up. They will check your heart rate, blood pressure, blood sugers etc. Just to make sure everything is working right. You may have a slight imbalance that is causing this problem.

To ride 10 mile you should not need extra additives for you to stay well. Keeping hydrated, even if you are not cycling is important. I take a bike waterbottle to work with me and usually drink 4 in an 8 hour shift.

You do not say if you take it easy when cycling or are trying to break records all the time. Take it easy. Find the slowest 10 mile thread on here. Its interesting how so many people liked the idea.

Top Bottom