What to eat/drink for energy DURING a long ride ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
This is a follow on to a previous post.
To explain.......I am 68 yrs old and building up to do a 68 mile road ride in May/June.
On monday I did my longest........46 miles (half road-half Trans Penine Way) on the hard tail.......so getting there.
I took 500ml of water, jelly babies & malt loaf and made it........tired but OK

BEFORE A LONG RIDE I drink Holland & Barrett's ISO drink for a long ride................instructions are to mix 500ml of water---drink 3/4 before exercise and the remainder afterwards (I suppose as a recovery aid).

I read an article which warns against overdosing the system with energy gels/drinks during the ride as the stomach can only digest so much and the system can only take so much............makes sense to me.....................
SO............
On a warm/hot day.
70 mile ride.
I will have a full (500ml) of water bottle plus malt loaf and jelly babies.
QUESTION IS Would it be safe/adviseable to have an energy drink in the 2nd bottle ???

U

User6179

QUESTION IS Would it be safe/adviseable to have an energy drink in the 2nd bottle

Yes , on a hot day though you could need a litre of fluids a hour though so if your only taking a litre you will need to factor in refilling your bottles , Gels are OK as well but they tend to have a laxative quality with me and a few others have said the same , be prepared ^_^

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes , on a hot day though you could need a litre of fluids a hour though so if your only taking a litre you will need to factor in refilling your bottles , Gels are OK as well but they tend to have a laxative quality with me and a few others have said the same , be prepared ^_^

Read that bout gels so intend NOT to use them :smile:
I am also quite prepared to purchase or even cadge extra water if I cant find a shop when I need it.

On a hot day, I'll keep an isotonic drink in one bottle, and water in another, if it's over 60 miles. Jelly babies work, if you've got yourself in trouble, and you need an emergency short boost, don't rely on them though. If my ride is over 100 miles, I'll try and find somewhere like a wetherspoons, and have a skinny sirloin steak and salad, and a pint of Stout, somewhere about halfway. I keep the Jelly babies in reserve, just in case the steak and stout don't work:thumbsup:.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I aim (and believe it's general practice) to consume one bottle of drink an hour- so i would definitely take on a second bottle for those sorts of distances.
If you drink them then that's great- if you didn't consider it training with extra weight.
I have (touch wood) not had any trouble with gels giving laxative effects- but you need to try a few different types to make sure your body is happy with them before the big ride.

On a hot day, I'll keep an isotonic drink in one bottle, and water in another, if it's over 60 miles. Jelly babies work, if you've got yourself in trouble, and you need an emergency short boost, don't rely on them though. If my ride is over 100 miles, I'll try and find somewhere like a wetherspoons, and have a skinny sirloin steak and salad, and a pint of Stout, somewhere about halfway. I keep the Jelly babies in reserve, just in case the steak and stout don't work:thumbsup:.

Steak and salad on an all day ride I can see but the pint of stout !!!!! What is your reasoning behind that??? Alcohol before or during a period of exercise does not seem to help nutritionally, and given its ability to impair motor function could prove dire while riding your bike.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'd certainly take a 2nd drinks bottle if riding that distance. You need to see what works for you re energy drinks. On rides of that sort of distance I do tend to take 2 bottles, 1 with energy drink & 1 electrolyte drink. I cant drink plain water whilst exercising, it just doesnt go down well :blush:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Steak and salad on an all day ride I can see but the pint of stout !!!!! What is your reasoning behind that??? Alcohol before or during a period of exercise does not seem to help nutritionally, and given its ability to impair motor function could prove dire while riding your bike.
He's having a pint of stout, not going on a bender! :laugh: I like a beer with lunch during a ride. Some places, it's the healthiest drink on the menu except water and I'm drinking water on the ride... variety is good.

Top Bottom