What to look for on an older, second hand bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
At the end of the road and around the corner there is a house which is always selling second hand bikes. They seem to be a collection of nice older bikes, such as old racers. I'm assuming the guy buys second hand and does them up a bit, though I don't really know.

Anyway. I could be tempted, to buy one if he gets something in my frame size.

Anyone got any useful advice for looking the bike over so I know that it isn't complete rubbish? Last time I had a look at the brakes and things, they seemed to be new/have a good amount left on them.

Also, what kind of price range do you think an old road bike, in reasonable condition should go for? (I know that's very vague!!)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
don't bother with an old racer from the '70s on with no sticker on the frame indicating that it's at least reynolds 531 (or reynolds anything else), as it will probably be very heavy. another sign of a cheapo mass product is what are called 'suicide levers', which are extensions to the brake levers that allow braking from the top of the drops. these never stopped the bike well, hence the nickname.

i'd not worry about how much the brakes are worn; i could sell you a bike that was one year old, fully cared for and maintained, and the amount of meat on the brakes would be random, as they get replaced regularly.

also look out for worn chain rings and cassette on any quality of second-hand purchase. if these are badly worn they will need replacing, which can get expensive relative to the cost of the second-hand bike. factor in the likelihood that tyres/tubes may also need replacing, as probably will the cabling and brake blocks.

as for pricing, have a look on ebay. there are lots of cheap reasonable old bikes on there, as well as exotica that go for £100s.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Campfire said:
Do you not get problems with vintage bikes with cotter pins? I remember my Dad hammering at cotter pins on a block of wood accompanied by a lot of swearing!

Cotter pins... pain in the a$$, but don't bother with the wood. Just beat them to death with a hammer while supporting the crank and replace with new.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Check the brake levers move relatively easily - and go back when released.
If not, it needs new cables. The will not "free up with use".

Have a look at the slot in the top of seat tube. Is it reasonably parallel?
If sides have been pulled together by the bolt, then the wrong diameter seat post has been fitted and locked in place by overtightening the bolt and distorting the frame.

Take a magnet with you. Avoid anything with steel wheel rims.

johnsie

thomas said:
At the end of the road and around the corner there is a house which is always selling second hand bikes. They seem to be a collection of nice older bikes, such as old racers. I'm assuming the guy buys second hand and does them up a bit, though I don't really know.

Anyway. I could be tempted, to buy one if he gets something in my frame size.

Anyone got any useful advice for looking the bike over so I know that it isn't complete rubbish? Last time I had a look at the brakes and things, they seemed to be new/have a good amount left on them.

Also, what kind of price range do you think an old road bike, in reasonable condition should go for? (I know that's very vague!!)

Hi Thomas - is this in Woking or Norwich? I'd look for the bits that aren't easy to repair/replace, so brakes tyres, chain are just "consumables".

PpPete

Legendary Member
BSA said:
Excuse my ignorance but whats the problem with steel rims?

Very poor braking performance, especially when wet. I'm told leather faced brake blocks help... but frankly why bother?; if you have choice of bikes get one with aluminium rims.

27" wheels.... depends on the price, condition of the tyres, & what you want the bike for.

Top Bottom