What to take in your emergency kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

You really need different kits for short, medium and long range trips and winter rides require a bit more than summer rides

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You really need different kits for short, medium and long range trips and winter rides require a bit more than summer rides
I can understand needing more layers and warmer ones for winter rides, but how are they different kits for short, medium and long range trips? Once you get to the point of washing clothes, isn't that as big as the kit gets?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's spring and autumn where I need extra carrying capacity, as I may want to carry extra layers that I may or may not be wearing. Winter, it all stays on. Summer, just a light waterproof and maybe arm warmers if riding at night.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^^ This, except mini track pump instead of CO2, 100mm adjustable spanner (15mm jaw - watch out for that) instead of the 15mm fixed, and a mini chain brute, 1/4" square drive 100mm sliding bar, 10mm (brakes, gears), 14mm (cranks) and hex drive sockets with hex bits covering the needed mix of allen and screw heads instead of the multitool (as I find the bulky body of multitools tend to get in the way with my bikes). Plus some cable ties, tape, lock and keys. And for group or very long rides, add a small pound shop oil tin, mini sun block, insect repellent, body spray, (don't mix any of them up) kitchen sink.

There's more than one way to skin this cat.

Has anyone tried the 110g PWLife expanding flat strip 18-in-1 multitool or those tiny 30g EDC Octopus ones?

Intrigued, and a sucker for saving a gram, I ordered one (Chinese knock off version, £1.49 delivered). Don't bother! It may function quite well as a key ring (split ring included) but pretty useless for anything else. The toolheads are not long enough. and even if you manage to insert one into a hex socket/screw head it is then virtually impossible to turn the tool as adjoining tool heads get in the way. The only one that might work is the loose hex bit, but even then the leverage possible is minimal. You might manage to adjust your H/L screws but that's about all. Better to work out what allen keys your bike needs and just carry those, along with a chain splitter like the small Park tool one. I find they take up less space than a multi tool anyway.

Reactions: mjr
I already have LOL :biggrin: Factor 50, if you must know... :whistle:
Factor.jpg

Inner tube and some cable ties in a small under saddle pack.

A Nalgene type water bottle on the frame contains (from memory - as I am at work at the moment)
tyre levers
disposable gloves
tube patches
multi tool
chain splitter
chain instant links
cable ties
a couple of allen bolts

A mini pump is secured next to the bottle by Velcro straps.

Small D lock, money, credit card, keys, water and food in either a pannier or a small floppy rucksack, depending which bike I take. I also take a first aid kit, which has usually ended up being used on others, rather than myself!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A mini pump is secured next to the bottle by Velcro straps.
Only by straps, or in some sort of bracket? If only straps, doesn't it scuff up your frame? (I'm interested because I'm currently looking for how to go saddlebagless and rackbagless on one bike and the pump is too big for handlebar or top tube bags.)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Only by straps, or in some sort of bracket? If only straps, doesn't it scuff up your frame? (I'm interested because I'm currently looking for how to go saddlebagless and rackbagless on one bike and the pump is too big for handlebar or top tube bags.)

I have a Topeak Roadmorph attached to the underside of the top tube. It came with a bracket, a couple of rubber pads (that sit between the bracket and the top tube), a couple of cable ties to attach to thee top tube and a Velcro strap to ensure the pump stays in the bracket. As such, I just have one of those little "wedge" bags under the saddle with tube, levers and multitool
20160312_094223.jpg

Top Bottom