What to upgrade on the Triban 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
I can't remember what size frame you're after, but a quick ebay search narrowed down to 54cm frames brings back 53 results. Straight away this one in Leeds ends in just over 6 hours and looks a decent bike but will push your budget,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinarello...0950219296?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3cc1d85a20
This could be worth watching to, ends on Wednesday night at 22:10. Pick up only, buy any seller worth their salt will package it and you can arrange a reverse collection with APC Overnight for approx £25-£30.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specializ...0667116543?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item43ad1c37ff
Then there's this one, not pretty but could be very cheap,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/claud-but...0847142835?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4ab3fadfb3

[EDIT] I'd seriously watch that Specialized, it's a very well specced bike, and presuming everything works as it should it's pretty much future proofed as far as upgrades are concerned.

Thanks for the links.

I've been keeping an eye on a few Specialized auctions, but the ones going for circa £300 are usually 2006 models. Don't think I want to spend money on something 6 years old.

vickster

Legendary Member
You do rather pay for the name with Specialized and Trek...and there's alwways a possibility you'll need to pay for new bits on a used bike

Can you find some more cash?

vickster

Legendary Member
I would just go with the Decathlon bike, enjoy it, forget about upgrading, catch the bug, keep it for a year, save in the meantime, flog it next spring for £150-200...and buy a carbon bike for a grand...

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
I would just go with the Decathlon bike, enjoy it, forget about upgrading, catch the bug, keep it for a year, save in the meantime, flog it next spring for £150-200...and buy a carbon bike for a grand...

Yeah, that's kinda the plan. I was just interested in some cheapish upgrades that would give a more pleasurable ride. I'm a bit of a tweaker.

2pies

Veteran
If you really want to upgrade something, buy better wheels. Something like this would greatly improve the bike:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-5-clincher-wheelset/

But really, is buying a £300 bike and then spending £175 on it strraight away wise? As others have said - buy it and start riding it right away.

Set yourself a goal e.g. 2000 miles this year, then buy somthing better once you can justify the purchase of a better bike.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yep just ride it for a few months then decide wich way to go,

Fubar

Guru
I've recently bought the Triban 3 after spending a year on my dad's old mountain bike - the difference moving to a road bike is amazing! (certainly to me it is). So far I love it. The only thing I've changed are the pedals to clipless as that is what I'm used to - may change the saddle in time. Official reviews are few and far between, possibly 'cos it's Decathlon's in-house brand and French ?!? (I think, or german) - there are pics and a sort-of review in the Photo Gallery from Monkspeed, I'm not technical but I'm sure MS could give you plenty of feedback.

bobones

Veteran
Take Merckx's advice: "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades!"

2300 is an excellent entry level 8 speed STI system, similar to Sora in ergonomics. Set up properly, it shifts smoothly and quietly. The main complaint, as with Sora, is that you can't upshift from the drops, but it's by no means a showstopper. I'd just ride the bike as is for a year or so and save your cash for something nice when you know what you really want and keep the Triban as your winter hack or flog it.

If you really need to spend money, first should be clipless pedals and shoes, then go for wheels and tyres followed by decent brake pads. It almost never makes economic sense to upgrade the groupset on an entry level bike instead of buying a complete bike with the groupset you want.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's a £500 bike that sells for £300... not at all foolish IMO.
Personally I never had a prob with the thumb button shifter when I had Sora... and the 2300 are just the 8 speed version. In fact I decided I liked it so much I went Campag thereafter.
If you can afford it go for a bike with a 10 speed cassette (Tiagra or 105) as the upgrade path is that much easier.

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
This may be a silly question but what benefit would be accrued from changing the wheels?

You could probably cut 1-2KG off the weight of the bike by buying lightweight replacements. That's the main benefit, but sure there's other ones as well.

Top Bottom