What to wear in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi,

My first commute tommorrow and it looks like rain for us for the whole week. I dont have a breathable waterproof jacket yet so....what do I wear up top? as its not that cold shall I just wear a T-shirt and get soaked? (8 miles each way). Ill be having a shower when I get to work anyway so...?

Sandra6

Veteran
I would just wear whatever you usually cycle in and accept you're going to get wet.
It shouldn't be too bad, 8 miles isn't far, and you'll enjoy that shower.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what others have said.
When it's warm just get wet.
Get cycling specific clothing and it dries very quickly.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Nothing OTT is required in the rain. I saw a fella in a bright orange poncho during a ride, recently. Seemed like it could cause a catastrophe, if it were to get caught in his wheel...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
up to a couple of weeks ago i would have said get an Altura Night vision jacket , but have just had to send it back under w/nty as it is leaking , have re applied suggested waterproof agent to no avail

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If it's lashing it down, you will get wet - simples. Better to be comfortable and warm (if it's cold weather). No good trying to fight the course of water... it goes where it pleases!

upandover

Guru
I'd agree with getting wet rather then sweaty most of the time, especially you can change.

For the times when I need to be dry on the top layer (I cycle to all my work meetings), and with you considering a jacket I could recommend my Decathlon Jacket - I've tried various things I overheat in moments) and it's the best waterproof I've found, breathable and cool with the pit-zip and pocket vents open, albeit I haven't tried the more expensive Event ones.
Here

Cheers
Steve

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As with the others, get wet...in the summer its actually pretty pleasant to get soaked when riding in the heat. The only exception I'll make to that is for feet. I hate hearing my shoes squelch as I ride so I may succumb to overshoes in the pouring rain.

but that's it.

better to spend you cash on a good waterproof rucksack.

Until the winter...

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Oh yeah talking of shoes, do people reccomend getting those SPD ones? do they really make a big difference? the thought of them terrify me.

upandover

Guru
I've found they make a big difference, they feel very natural, very fluid.

Having said that I would say (others would disagree I'm sure), that it depends on on your riding. For a fair commute, absolutely. If you also use your bike for hopping on and of and walking a lot, or like me for cycling to a run, you might like to consider different sorts, depending on how comfortble the shoes you find feel. You can get quite flexible spd shoes which could help.

On my main pop around bike I have mountain bike pedals like this (very grippy), on my faster commuter I have 50/50's, and I had full spd's on my road bike - till I sold it. They all have their benefits - but being attached to the bike feels great, and was always faster for longer rides for me (more once you develop the extra muscles you can use)

Norm

It is lovely cycling in warm rain, IMO, no waterproofs required as they'll make you wet from sweat rather than rain.

Try to get the clothes dry during the day, though.

Buy a few decent cycling/running tops, not expensive and you can get from any sports shop, don't need to spend much ££. They'll dry much quicker than the cotton ones for the ride home.

Hawk

Veteran
Accept you'll get soaked BUT don't accept being cold.

Longer trousers (tracksuit bottoms work OK if tucked in to socks) will help, double up on thick sports socks helps (if you don't have overshoes). If you're just using trainers they're not too bad for getting cold though.

A tshirt and an underarmour or similar base layer could be a shout. But put something on top for sure, just to keep you warm. Anything really, old hoodie would probably do

Top Bottom