What to wear in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My main priority is to keep feet dry - why, because your shoes will soon get seriously rank. I use waterproof overshoes. They are great but to be 100%, you need waterproof over trousers to stop it getting in.

If it's light rain, it's just overshoes. If it's really heavy it's the lot, and I ease off speed.

It rains so much up here, that's why I opt for keeping the shoes as dry as possible.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've found they make a big difference, they feel very natural, very fluid.

Having said that I would say (others would disagree I'm sure), that it depends on on your riding. For a fair commute, absolutely. If you also use your bike for hopping on and of and walking a lot, or like me for cycling to a run, you might like to consider different sorts, depending on how comfortble the shoes you find feel. You can get quite flexible spd shoes which could help.

On my main pop around bike I have mountain bike pedals like this (very grippy), on my faster commuter I have 50/50's, and I had full spd's on my road bike - till I sold it. They all have their benefits - but being attached to the bike feels great, and was always faster for longer rides for me (more once you develop the extra muscles you can use)
this is very good advice I think.

There are many types of SPD shoe or clipless shoe/pedal. I choose a slightly MTBtype of shoe as the MTB's have a sole to them with rubber tread. That way when I need to put my foot down in the ice/rainy road...or even walk a little on the commute, I can more easily than if I had slippery road shoes. Commutinf requires loits of stopping.

I also use MTB pedals (on my road bike) for a similar reason. The road pedals are often one sided and I'm not convinced are built for constant mount/dismounts. MTB's are built to take more abuse.

When you go shopping you need to search for "Clipless pedals and shoes"...it sounds counter intuitive but pedal clips are those buckled straps that we old folk might have called rat traps in our yoof. Clipless pedals have no such clips...hence clipless

Octet

Veteran
As others have said, sports clothing does generally dry quicker because of the fabric used.
Although try and avoid white, because in the rain it has the possibility to go see through which I am sure, isn't something others want to see.

StuartG

slower but further
My normal summer wet gear is a £9.99 Aldi ultra lite jacket and rather more expensive overshoes. Shorts of course and a cap with a decent peak to keep the rain off the glasses.

That keeps my core warm so I can burn off any wetness as soon as the rain stops. There is nothing to get really rain sodden so its ok for the return ride.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine today was simply a s/s jersey and shorts, knowing I'd get wet and change at work.

I keep a spare set of cycling clothes for when they're needed -w hich I'll use for the return commute.

400bhp

Guru
My normal summer wet gear is a £9.99 Aldi ultra lite jacket and rather more expensive overshoes. Shorts of course and a cap with a decent peak to keep the rain off the glasses.

That keeps my core warm so I can burn off any wetness as soon as the rain stops. There is nothing to get really rain sodden so its ok for the return ride.

+1. Use it all through the year.

potsy

Rambler
Took 1 look outside this morning and went back in for my gore tex and over trousers, cycled in nice and slowly, still sweating when I got to work :rain:
At least my feet were dry, winter boots ftw.

Teuchter

Über Member
In Glasgow, getting soaked is a fact of life so may as well accept it!

Lots of good advice here. Get kit that dries quickly and hang it to dry at work. I hang mine under my desk and have a desk fan blow it dry during the day. Wet shoes do end up stinking.

I now avoid the "boil in the bag" waterproof jackets and use a windproof jacket instead. Mine's a Gore Phantom that has sleeves which unzip for spring or autumn. Expensive but a great bit of kit that is partially waterproof but stays comfortable even when soaked through. Most of the rest of my kit is from Aldis.

Also, get mudguards front and back. They WILL make a difference.

doddy73

Über Member
Got to love Scottish weather! I find that carrying arm warmers, a gilet and a set of overshoes is more than enough at this time of year. You can add or remove these as the climate changes. A waterproof backpack cover is also advisable..... Nothing worse than unpacking wet pants :smile:

lip03

Über Member
I have bit of a dilemma I cycle to the station then get train into London but in the wet I have to sit on a train for an hour all wet and that's not nice! So it's a change of clothes in my bag and a superman style costume change in the loo!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I use Rainlegs for my legs in the summer they are superb, they keep the rain off the parts that matter and do not really make me any hotter. And if it is really heavy rain a Tenn Vapor jacket with just a sleeveless base layer underneath. This is just for a 9.5 mile each way commute. If the rain is just slight I get wet.

Top Bottom