What tools do you carry when out for a ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevincycle

9263B6D5-1622-42FD-B07B-18C92D2F8715.JPG
I just purchased a Topeak Survival gearbox just wonder what you's carry when out for a ride cheers Kevin.

Last edited:

Jimidh

Veteran
Tyre lever
Crank Brothers mini tool kit
Co2 pump and two canisters
Mini pump in jersey pocket

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Depending on the ride and bike used:-
Pump or CO2, or both
A tube or two
Puncture kit
Levers
Multi tool (with chain tool)
A few cable ties
Several assorted grub screws for different cleats.
Spare chain link.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
CO2
2x inner tubes
multi tool with chain breaker
Tyre levers
universal derailleur hanger
and 2 quick links for chains 1 ten speed 1 eleven speed.
I carry this lot because i lead a lot of group rides.:okay:

johnnyb47

Guru
I carry a couple of tubes , a pump and a small multi tool but most importantly I always take my phone ,just in case I get stranded in the middle of nowhere ..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tool roll (actually an artist's brush roll) containing
levers, quick links, cable ties, nitrile gloves, patches
chain tool, park
¼" drive, silverline
3 sockets for 10mm (some brakes, mudguards), 12mm (pedal bearings, stem on one bike) and 14mm (cranks)
Hex drive adapter
Hex bits in holder (straight, Philips 2, pozi 2, 3-6mm Allen)
100mm adjustable spanner that opens to 15mm

Also spare tube and usually a mini floor pump.

Edit: in case it's not clear, it can be a very long walk home or even a long wait for a fairly expensive taxi home and the fens can be a pretty exposed place to be when the weather's unkind. So I probably carry more than someone tootling around London, say. Still only about 500g.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Pump
Multi-tool
3 tyre levers
2 tubes
Scabs (other sticky patches are available)

Not tools, but I carry them as well:
Mobile phone
£5 in £1 coins
Bank card

If I'm out on a longer ride I might take CO2 as well.

I used to carry a pair of nitrile gloves, but I've found it easier to swap to black bar tape instead...;)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Tools: Small multi-tool, mini chain splitter (if there isn't one on the multi-tool), 2 x tyre levers, pump/CO2 inflator
Spares: 1 x tube, self adhesive patches, chain link

Siclo

Veteran
Inner tube, pump, multi-tool inc chain tool, ball end allen key (mudguards obscure caliper bolts), 9/10/11 speed quicklinks, brake pads, tyre levers, tubeless repair kit, knife, CO2, every bike had cable ties shoved up the bar ends, tyre boot.

Other stuff includes first aid kit, space blanket, loo roll, phone (hopefully), cash (again hopefully), pg tips monkey (not always -he's lazy)

hoopdriver

Guru
It varies depending on the ride. If I am touring and/or in a remote part of the world, I will take more than if I were just going out for a morning ride in the weald. As a rule I would take an inner tube, pump, patch kit, tyre levers, a folding set of hex keys, one of the nifty little Park folding chain tools and spare link. I find multi-tools not very hand-friendly, too awkward to hold. I like the Park chain tool - it is small, easy to use and is surprisingly precise for a non-workshop tool.

Because I typically go for my daily rides very early in the morning (4:30am) in winter I do the hole ride in darkness and so I pack along a small penlight to see by. I wrap everything up in an old tea towel, for hand wiping, and halve a small plastic bag with hand wipes, and another little bag with zip ties and some paper clips I can twist into something if I need to bodge a repair. Add a twenty pound note, and I am good to go - and make it home again. (The tucked-away and largely forgotten about £20 note can be a really handy surprise sometimes, when one is scrunching around for money and suddenly remember you've got cash in your saddlebag!)

When I am touring, or going on my winter rides on dark and lonely country lanes, I improve my odds of not having any sort of roadside issue by sticking to Schwalbe Marathon Plus for added puncture resistance. I also keep the bike well lubed, and give it a quick look over reasonably regularly. Whether one wants to call it luck or good management - probably both - for the most part my tools come out only to help other riders who have broken down.

Top Bottom