What tools should I get for basic maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aescott

Regular
Hi

I am not the most practical when it comes to mechanical things but am keen to get a bit more hands on in terms of regular maintenance of my bikes.

What tools should I be looking to acquire from adoring offspring on Father’s Day? I’ve got a few bits and pieces, but a list of essentials would be very helpful. Also looking for recommendations about brands - I don’t trust the kids not to buy a cheap knock-off from Amazon from a company with more consonants than is healthy in its name.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A good set of Allen keys.
A chain splitting tool.
Cassette removal tool, for the correct make, ie. Shimano.
Bottom bracket removal tool.
Crank removal tool
Adjustable spanner.
Pedal spanner
Ring/open ended spanners
Flat head and Philip's screwdrivers.

This should do for a start. Then you can move on to more specific tools as needed.

A chain splitting tool.
Crank removal tool
Adjustable spanner.
Pedal spanner
Ring/open ended spanners

This should do for a start. Then you can move on to more specific tools as needed.

I'd add pliers, because gripping cables with your fingers isn't always easy.
Tyre levers
Cable cutters
A good pump.

Park Tools is one of the standard brands for quality tools.
I pick up basic tools used. Old good ones are generally better than new low grade ones.

OP
OP
A

Aescott

Regular
:welcome: Tell what bikes and groupsets you sport: will make a difference to the list. Do those loving children have bikes too? Will you be maintaining theirs (till they're old enough to do so themselves)?

Scott Scale 980, 12 speed, disc brakes. Specialized Allez Elite 11 speed, rim brakes. Kids not into cycling, but at 19 and 24 respectively, hoping that they'll push the boat of for Father's Day

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
3rd hand tool. Makes rim brake set up a doddle.

Good for gear cables too.

Jameshow

Veteran
Hi

I am not the most practical when it comes to mechanical things but am keen to get a bit more hands on in terms of regular maintenance of my bikes.

What tools should I be looking to acquire from adoring offspring on Father’s Day? I’ve got a few bits and pieces, but a list of essentials would be very helpful. Also looking for recommendations about brands - I don’t trust the kids not to buy a cheap knock-off from Amazon from a company with more consonants than is healthy in its name.

Good luck with that mugs and socks here!!

Alex321

Veteran
A chain splitting tool.
Crank removal tool
Adjustable spanner.
Pedal spanner
Ring/open ended spanners

Bottom bracket removal tool and crank removal tool both depend rather a lot one what bike he has, and the BB tool possibly (depending on the answers to that) a bit beyond "basic" maintenance for a starter kit.

And with a press-fit BB, you are looking at over £50 for the relevant tools to both remove and fit.

A crank removal tool is unnecessary unless you have a square taper BB.

Other than that, a good list - I might add a chain whip - although possible to get the cassette off without one, it is much easier with it.

Top Bottom