What tools should I get for basic maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
It will depend on the bike(s) you want to service, the type of jobs you want to do, the level of your technical knowledge, and whether you're looking for a return on your investment or just want to do it because it's less of a hassle than taking the bike to LBS every time.

You could look at the list of tools in one of the very comprehensive, commercially available kits, like this one from Park: click. Not to get every single thing, but to lookup what each tool is used for and whether you need it or not.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm going to perhaps unreasonably suggest that the OP hopes that by being given tools by his offspring he will be motivated to maintain his plastic bikes.
I warn of the risk of falling into the 'all the gear and no idea' trap (this is NOT a dig at you @Peter Salt ). Forgive if harsh and perhaps the OP can return in a year a share their maintaining experiences.
First define "basic maintenance". What is the OP doing at present and with what tools?
Oil or wax?
Can they check/change pads on hydraulic disc brakes?
When did they last replace a chain (themselves)?
Di2?
Just for fun: disconnect the cable (if it exists), unscrew the limit screws and re-index the RD (no tools (other than an allen key and a small screwdriver needed)).
Remove the cranks, clean grease and reinstall (would need tools)

Alex321

Veteran
I'm going to perhaps unreasonably suggest that the OP hopes that by being given tools by his offspring he will be motivated to maintain his plastic bikes.
I warn of the risk of falling into the 'all the gear and no idea' trap (this is NOT a dig at you @Peter Salt ). Forgive if harsh and perhaps the OP can return in a year a share their maintaining experiences.
First define "basic maintenance". What is the OP doing at present and with what tools?
Oil or wax?
Can they check/change pads on hydraulic disc brakes?
When did they last replace a chain (themselves)?
Di2?
Just for fun: disconnect the cable (if it exists), unscrew the limit screws and re-index the RD (no tools (other than an allen key and a small screwdriver needed)).
Remove the cranks, clean grease and reinstall (would need tools)

The bike he listed in his later post is not DI2 - it has Shimano Deore 1x12 groupset.

And a Shimano BB-MT500-PA press-fit bottom bracket.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi

I am not the most practical when it comes to mechanical things but am keen to get a bit more hands on in terms of regular maintenance of my bikes.

What tools should I be looking to acquire from adoring offspring on Father’s Day? I’ve got a few bits and pieces, but a list of essentials would be very helpful. Also looking for recommendations about brands - I don’t trust the kids not to buy a cheap knock-off from Amazon from a company with more consonants than is healthy in its name.

I would also add that for whatever job you need to do, there are very good videos on YouTube which explain more or less everything.
Also, the Haynes bike book gives a very good step by step guide to most bike mechanical problems with text and pictures.including what tools are needed for the job in hand.

Bottom bracket removal tool and crank removal tool both depend rather a lot one what bike he has, and the BB tool possibly (depending on the answers to that) a bit beyond "basic" maintenance for a starter kit.

And with a press-fit BB, you are looking at over £50 for the relevant tools to both remove and fit.

A crank removal tool is unnecessary unless you have a square taper BB.

Other than that, a good list - I might add a chain whip - although possible to get the cassette off without one, it is much easier with it.

A work bench and bench vise is handy for that.

ExBrit

Über Member
Hi

I am not the most practical when it comes to mechanical things but am keen to get a bit more hands on in terms of regular maintenance of my bikes.

What tools should I be looking to acquire from adoring offspring on Father’s Day? I’ve got a few bits and pieces, but a list of essentials would be very helpful. Also looking for recommendations about brands - I don’t trust the kids not to buy a cheap knock-off from Amazon from a company with more consonants than is healthy in its name.

If you have been a good daddy and your kids really love you I would add a bike stand and a shop stool (from the age of your kids you might be at the age where your back doesn't like you bending over for long). However you are still young enough to go for good quality that will last as long as you do.

I can recommend this rolling bench.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
'er indoors might not be too impressed if you haven't got a garage and you try to set it up in the kitchen 🙂

Talking about not having a garage, I can suggest a cheap rug if you're doing bike maintenance indoors.

Lookrider

It's a little defeating the object?
And I'm not aware of your available funds
But I did a course that was relevant only to my bike
I got a full strip down service supervised by a mechanic and put back together again
That way I learned all about my bike and what tools wete needed for my bike
Just a card of making you aware that's all really ....you will enjoy and what's the worst thing you can do ?.... do it wrong then take it to the shop to correct it

cc.jpg

sorry, couldn't resist. is it Friday yet?

Top Bottom