What tools to remove this BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
This still has its uses from time to time.
An early form of multi tool.
Mind of them well back in t'day - ! :okay:
Great as long as you didn't apply too much welly - ! :wacko:

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
This a VAR fixed cup tool. £200+ import duty, plus whatever the correct adapter costs for your BB!

A professional tool that many bike shops won't own. Honestly how many of them are you going to see?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314654716250

I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse, but why is something so chunky required? I'm just surprised you can't just buy a lockring tool like you can for cassettes or like this BB tool.

1695625496732.png

I feel like I'm missing something obvious! :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse, but why is something so chunky required? I'm just surprised you can't just buy a lockring tool like you can for cassettes or like this BB tool.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious! :laugh:
Now I'm not a fixed cup expert as it's something I've only ever really had to deal with once, and I got lucky because it came out easily. But, with that caveat ...

I think the point is that fixed cups are fixed. They get installed very tight at the factory and possibly also screw themselves in ever tighter and don't generally get removed, so when it does come to removing them then the big guns are needed, like special workshop tools or Sheldon's cunning bodge. That's unlike modern outboard BBs where both sides get removed/replaced during each servicing.

You can get cassette tools easily because removing/replacing a cassette is a commonplace activity. Removing a fixed cup is once in a blue moon.

That said, fixed cups that I'm used to seeing don't have a big fancy 6-point recess on them like yours. So I share your surprise that such a thing exists but the corresponding tool seems not to.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Now I'm not a fixed cup expert as it's something I've only ever really had to deal with once, and I got lucky because it came out easily. But, with that caveat ...

I think the point is that fixed cups are fixed. They get installed very tight at the factory and possibly also screw themselves in ever tighter and don't generally get removed, so when it does come to removing them then the big guns are needed, like special workshop tools or Sheldon's cunning bodge. That's unlike modern outboard BBs where both sides get removed/replaced during each servicing.

You can get cassette tools easily because removing/replacing a cassette is a commonplace activity. Removing a fixed cup is once in a blue moon.

That said, fixed cups that I'm used to seeing don't have a big fancy 6-point recess on them like yours. So I share your surprise that such a thing exists but the corresponding tool seems not to.
This might fit. There are plenty of other options if you google 'fixed cup removal tool'. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Park-Tool-HCW11-Slotted-Bottom-Bracket-Adjusting-Cup-Wrench-16-mm_36731.htm

Big John

Guru
There's possibly enough of a lip protruding to get a large set of Stilsons on that cup. Providing you've soaked it in penetrating fluid it might just work. However, if you don't already own one they ain't cheap unless you can borrow one from a mate. Even some bike shops turn those sort of jobs away because they know the time it might take to shift it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Massive locking pliers?

I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse, but why is something so chunky required?

Not at all.

In one word, engineering. Fixed cups are always incredibly tight and you need a big, professional quality tool to reliably shift them, as well as a decent workstand. It's very easy to bend a frame with improvised/cheap tools and brute force.

It's not hard provided you have the right kit.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Further update, someone on reddit suggested a pipe wrench. I was pondering buying one then realised I had one already! Hammer + pipe wrench = success! Very satisfying :smile: It still has a squeaky rear hub brake, it could do with a chainguard and basket, but other than that, we're up and running 👍

1696611100087.png

1696611163691.jpeg

This will be the runabout/take to London bike, which I shouldn't get (but probably will be) too upset if it gets stolen. I'l still be using good locks anyway, but I assume it's not hugely desirable to thieves.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
Pipe wrench = Stilsons (look at Google). I mentioned Stilsons (pipe wrench) above on Sept 25th so why has it taken until now? :whistle:

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Pipe wrench = Stilsons (look at Google). I mentioned Stilsons (pipe wrench) above on Sept 25th so why has it taken until now? :whistle:
Sorry, I think I was still set on trying to get a tool at that point...that and I had no idea stilsons = pipe wrench. Thanks though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Further update, someone on reddit suggested a pipe wrench. I was pondering buying one then realised I had one already! Hammer + pipe wrench = success! Very satisfying :smile: It still has a squeaky rear hub brake, it could do with a chainguard and basket, but other than that, we're up and running 👍

View attachment 708949

View attachment 708951

This will be the runabout/take to London bike, which I shouldn't get (but probably will be) too upset if it gets stolen. I'l still be using good locks anyway, but I assume it's not hugely desirable to thieves.

Congratulations, now resign yourself to having to fit a new 'sealed unit' BB every couple of years cos they're crap made of compressed cheese

Top Bottom