What tools to remove this BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have never had a problem removing BSA style fixed cups. Fixed cup spanner and Mr Mallet on the end.

Raleigh fixed cups, with their smaller flats, can be trouble. I had to use the "bolt method" on one.

GuyBoden

Guru
DIY two teeth C Spanner.

This looks like a good idea.

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Lockring-Pliers/

FD9N28JG5KP8FEI.jpg

Expensive option. Three teeth.

Park Tool HCW-5

HCW-5_001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Greetings fellow cycle mechanics, I bring you tidings of bottom bracket fertling.

Managed to get the chain guard off, eventually. Then had a look for my crank puller, which I hadn't used in some time since upgrading my trusty Triban 3 to Hollowtech for 9 speed Sora (groupset bought on here).

1695489509823.jpeg

If there was any chance that I forgot which way to turn it, no matter, as the tool is showing significant signs of wear where I've wacked it with a mallet before! Bashing it once more was rather appealing.

Once the cranks were removed, I was left with just a spindle. Turning that was very noisy, I think it was pretty clear I'd narrowed the problem down. Eventually worked out how to use the C spanner.

1695489724633.jpeg

Ah, I think I see what the problem is!
1695489750994.jpeg

This bike supposedly wasn't used much, and stored in a shed for several years. Hmm 🤔. Anyway, off to the LBS (Dorvics). Fortunately it's most downhill from here I live, so time to go freewheeling! That was amusing. Ashley (shop owner) was pretty emphatic that I should replace with a sealed BB. I didn't take much convincing, I'm not much of a fan of this cup and cone malarkey.

There was one last part that needed removing from the shell. I couldn't work out what to use to do it, then remembered I had a pin spanner.

1695489938884.jpeg

Oh dear, that didn't last very long. At least I got a refund pretty quickly on Amazon. I'm left with this part attached to the bike.
1695489986578.jpeg

1695489998147.jpeg

Anyone know what tool I need to get it off? Clockwise I'm assuming. I guess a (better) pin spanner could work but I'd rather something that gets a better grip on all the slots. Cheers! :smile:

You need a fixed cup tool.
They are expensive, and you'll never need one again.
You can make one from a high tensile bolt and two washers - one washer and high tensile nut inside the cup, then fasten the second washer outside then tighten like mad (it's backward threaded so as you tighten the bolt you're loosening the cup) but it won't always work.
I'd go to a bike shop. Two minute job with good tools, or misery without.

Ajax Bay

Guru
After those great images, I'll just leave earlier advice here:
So just clean and regrease, replace the balls if nec, and put it back together.
:laugh: Edit to add after post below: To be clear, looking at the images, a cartridge ST BB eg UN-55 bitd (with 'sealed bearings' @raleighnut ) is the way to go, if those threads aren't fubar.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
After those great images, I'll just leave earlier advice here:

:laugh:
I'd second that, 'Sealed Bearing' BB's are rubbish, they're knocked up out of compressed cheese and made for £99 BSO's
As long as there is no pitting on the shaft or cups on the bearing tracks then whack a couple of bearing sets in with one trick, PLENTY OF GREASE
you really cannot put too much in there.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I'm sat in my garage again, penetrating oil doesn't seem to have helped free this thing up. No movement after lots of whacks. I've got a breaker bar sat on my lap as long as my arm, is there really no tool I could attach to it to get this thing off? That's what I bought the breaker bar for. If not I'm amazed..."6 notch bottom bracket" isn't turning up much.

I'm not totally against taking it to the bike shop but removing it myself with the breaker bar would be satisfying. Cheers 🙂

Last edited:
Top Bottom