What touring bike could I get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rikitoun

Hello, I am new in this field of touring bike. I have got a mountain bike converted to touring. I have done the C2C, I really enjoy but I would like something ligther.
I would like the bike for expedition and as well for training, so I have think in fast touring like AUDAX, but I do not know if you could load more than 20 kg in this kind of bike.
Well, my budget is 1000-15000 pound.
The list I have got is:
- Dawes Super Galaxy
- Dawes Ultra Galaxy.
- Dawes Audax Supreme.
- Trek 520.
- Cannondale Touring Classic.

I am so confused to decided. I would not like just to follow for the more expensive price. I would a fast and light bike, reliable and that it could load more than 20 kg for long expedition of 15 days around.

Thanks a lot.

simoncc

I've got a Dawes Ultra Galaxy and it is a superb bike. Stiff, responsive, fast for a tourer when unloaded, well equipped and carries heavy loads very well. I've done 11,000 miles on my 2004 one, including quite a bit of off road and it has perfomed perfectly despite rough treatment. And Spa Cycles do them cheap - £900. I don't know about the other bikes, and for £1500 you could get many great tourers, but why spend more than you have to?

www.spacycles.co.uk

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
For that sort of budget you will have lots of choice and should be able to get exactly what you want.

It is certainly worth considering Paul Hewitt's range of touring bikes.

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/hewittcheviot

They have consistantly done well in all the reviews and have been 'bike of the year' on several occaisions.

He also does Audax style bike and 26inch expedition bikes so there is plenty to choose from. He also does an excellent fitting service which loads of people have found to be the most important part of the bike buying process.

There is no limitation as to the weight an Audax style frame can carry. The problem is that they use side pull brakes which limits the maximum size of tyre you can use (somewhere around 28 mm with mudguards). For heavier (camping?) touring you can really do with going bigger (32 mm+), and that's why full on tourers use cantilevers. Everything else can be pretty much the same.

OP
OP
R

rikitoun

Do you know from any website they will apply the free interest credit in 6 o 9 month?

Thanks.

OP
OP
R

rikitoun

What do you think could be the best component (gear, shifter) for the touring bike?
What small detail I should look up before buy the bike?
I would like to get a good bike without the necessity to upgrade.

What do you think between the trek 520 and the ultra galaxy.

I think I am between these 2 or do you think the Paul hewiit cheviot is better for price?
I just do not want to get disappointed after all.

Thanks.

alfablue

I have a Dawes Audax (a 531 steel one 9 years old). It is a great ride, really comfy, and quite fast, however it doesn't like heavy pannier loads as the rear triangle flexes a lot under load. An aluminium one may not do this, but may also be less comfortable to ride. I am thinking of getting a steel Condor Heritage tourer (or maybe a Dawes Galaxy Ultra, 853 steel) to deal with loaded commuting and touring. At the moment I use my "roadified" Rock Lobster Titanium MTB for these duties (I fitted narrow slick tyres, mudguards, rack, rigid forks), but would like to return it to MTB spec when I get a dedicated tourer. The Audax is my "weapon of choice" for long day rides.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
rikitoun said:
Hello, I am new in this field of touring bike. I have got a mountain bike converted to touring. I have done the C2C, I really enjoy but I would like something ligther.
I would like the bike for expedition and as well for training, so I have think in fast touring like AUDAX, but I do not know if you could load more than 20 kg in this kind of bike.
Well, my budget is 1000-15000 pound.
The list I have got is:
- Dawes Super Galaxy
- Dawes Ultra Galaxy.
- Dawes Audax Supreme.
- Trek 520.
- Cannondale Touring Classic.

I am so confused to decided. I would not like just to follow for the more expensive price. I would a fast and light bike, reliable and that it could load more than 20 kg for long expedition of 15 days around.

Thanks a lot.

I use my Dawes Galaxy for Audaxing - 2700 km this year and long distance touring - LEJOG, JOGLE and Channel to the Med over the past three years.

I'd suggest that you eliminate the Dawes Audax from the choice - it isn't up to full touring loads.

If the Cannondale has 10 gears - I'd be wary. From my limited exposure to folks' opinions of them - the chain isn't up to the job and snaps regularly.

Speed is a relative thing. All of the shortlisted bikes will out-perform your current bike by a comfortable margin.

tomb1960

I just want to endorse what Tim Bennet has said. Go and see Paul Hewitt, discuss with him exactly what it is you want and he will be able to build it for you. Ring up and make an appointment first, he is deservedly very busy. His attention to detail when he builds the bike is incredible. Consequently the finished articles are beauties to behold!

P.H

Über Member
tomb1960 said:
I just want to endorse what Tim Bennet has said. Go and see Paul Hewitt, discuss with him exactly what it is you want and he will be able to build it for you.

Number 3 for Paul Hewitt. It may be a bit dearer than some of your other options, but because it'll be exactly what you want it'll be worth it and probably cheaper in the long run.

Bigtallfatbloke

I ride a Daws Galaxy as well...see a pic in the sig link below. It has no problems with the loads. It cost me £650 new and I upgraded to a brookes saddle and spd pedals. I also ride a fair bit on it without loads and it's a good bike for that as well although it definatly isnt as fast as a racer roadbike.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The 2005 model has caveats next to some of the parts saying that as this is an old model, Dawes reserve the right to fit any old bits.

There is also no indication of the front chainring sizes. Or rear block. Are the gears adequate for what you have in mind? Are you happy with STI shifter's? Many tourers prefer bar ends.

Also 'Erica' the Evans sizing wizard seems to have problems dealing with someone of even average height. Will you be confident this bike will fit you perfectly? Will someone at Evans spend 30 - 40 minutes with you on a jig getting everything just right? Will they swap the stem / bar widths & styles / crank lengths, etc plus give you a choice of tyres / frame colour / handle bar tape - type and colour, make of saddle / rack / pedals / extra braze-ons for frame pump / third bottle / dynamo, etc.

Will the wheels be handmade by one of the top wheel builders in the country? Will it be assembled by a completely obsessive, meticulous time served mechanical engineer?

If you really are considering a touring bike for around £1000 pounds, all the above comes as standard at Hewitts. A touring bike can easily last 20 -25 years. Taking some time to get it right is the best investment.

Chris James

Über Member
I vaguely recall reading once about Evans supplying some form of Galaxay with 32 spoke rims, they ended up putting the caveat in due to that.

If that is the case then I would avoid to be honest. Google it to look in Bike Radar vaults.

The various Galaxies are still good bike though and good value form Spa (if you know what size you want etc)

My wife has just updated to a Thorn Raven, I was impressed enough to order a "matching" Thorn Nomad.

Nice bikes, and from talking to owners, the Rohloff is a good touring system

Bigtallfatbloke

I dont think you need to spend £1000 on a dawes. You should really haggle on the price of a standard off the shelf new bike imho...I did and I saved a lot of cash. Bar end shifters work well so i wouldnt be put off by them if in deed that is the case. I think the upgrades I did (saddle and pedals) give me a bike as good as the ultra for a lot less total cash.

If I had £1000 to spend I would take the above advice and visit the Hewit place for a more personal fit.

Top Bottom