What Track Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just got my first road bike and I see the tyres have a max pressure of 120 psi or 8.5 bars. My current (ancient) track pump only pumps to 100 psi, so I need to get another. Are there any recommendations as to which pump I might go for?

vickster

Legendary Member
Something by Lezyne or Bontrager for me

Others will suggest Topeak Joe Blow, mine was utter rubbish though, could never get road tyres above 100psi and that was a chore!

Are you sure you want to run at 120psi on rough UK roads, unless you are very heavy. The 120 Is a max not an instruction. Personally I'd stick with the one you have if you are confident in the gauge

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I got this and have been very happy with it.
revolution-air-track-pump-pro.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A more rarely recommended cheapish one is the lifeline track pump, which has a twist-to-lock valve rather than the more common lift-lever-to-lock version. Mine works fine.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bear in mind the tyres don't have to be pumped up to the max. Depending on the tyre width and your (you + bike) mass, your front tyre needs only to be 20 to 30 psi less than the rear one - so for 23mm tyres have the rear at max rated (120psi) unless your gross mass is <87.5kg (10kg bike, 12 stone rider say, assume no bag). If lighter than that reduce pressure in the rear by 2psi per kg less than 87.5kg (and this drives down the front as well, keeping the delta the same).

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 30

Sharky

Guru
Got mine from lidl's (or aldi - can't remember which). Has dual connector and has been fine and was cheap.

Agree with above postings, 120 psi is a bit high for normal riding.

NeilnrLincoln

I've got a Bontrager one which I've been using for the last two years & it's been excellent. Bought an aldi cheapie too for the kids to use so they don't wreck my best pump blowing up footballs etc out in the garden.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I got this and have been very happy with it. View attachment 117776
Another vote from me for the Edinburgh Cycle CoOp track pump. It's a well made robust pump, does presta and schraeder without changing anything, and I'm very happy with mine. I've even used it for pumping car tyres. For best value, wait until they have it on offer during one of their regular sales (I paid nowhere near the full regular price for mine).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
To echo @Sharky I got one from Lidl about 5 yrs ago. My roadie tyres I usually pump to 100 psi, and it does this with ease. It's very robust too. I have also used it to inflate a flat car tyre enough to get it to the garage for replacement.

winjim

Smash the cistern
To echo @Sharky I got one from Lidl about 5 yrs ago. My roadie tyres I usually pump to 100 psi, and it does this with ease. It's very robust too. I have also used it to inflate a flat car tyre enough to get it to the garage for replacement.
Seriously, a thread about pumps and that's the best you can come up with? Is it your day off or something?

Top Bottom