What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petek

Über Member
Strictly come Dancing -Halloween Special this evening.
Obvs.
Then two back-to-back Harry Potter docus on BBC2.
Laissez les bonnes temps roullez.
:smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Outlander (Prime) - managed 20 mins of Ep 1. before switching it off. I know some people rave about it, but it's not for me on that showing

The Tick (Prime) - watched two episodes, this has potential and for once Peter Serafinowicz hamming it it up playing Peter Serafinowicz as only he can actually works

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Is anyone watching series 2 of Jordskott?

I thoroughly enjoyed the first series, but didn't really think it left itself space for a second.

Are they flogging a dead horse like the Kiwi's did with series two of Top of the Lake?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mindhunter (Netflix)

Very impressive. Fincher takes the "Does hunting monsters make you a monster?" trope and locates it in the very beginnings of the FBI's Behavioural Science programme as we'd understand it from stuff like Criminal Minds &c. I felt slightly uneasy about the relationships that are established at times, but
Fincher pulls the rug out from under the viewer quite spectacularly in the final episode.
(Episode 10 Spoiler)

American Horror Story S6 Roanoke (Netflix)

Better than "Hotel", with Lady Gaga given a part that rather suits her otherworldliness here. The British accents are comical (Sarah Paulson aside), however, and the final few episodes are a mess of reality TV pastiches that don't really work (although the earlier documentary style episodes aren't half bad).

Gunpowder (iPlayer)

Only the first episode, but it seems ok. They could, perhaps, have made a better job of establishing the context (just why "heresy" was treated so harshly), as it leaves the antagonists being viewed through too modern a lens for them to seem anything other than needless persecutors - but it's a TV programme, not a course in early modern law and cultural attitudes. The judicial violence is disturbing, but an awful lot is implied, rather than shown

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm suffering death by boredom, Strictly hateful programme, followed by recorded X-Factor hateful programme, followed by Balls & Bow, which is a lot of Balls & Bow, please KMN.....

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Finished Gunpowder. It is good, but it basically repeats the same 3 arcs in each episode. More context would definitely have helped give a more in depth story, feels a bit of an opportunity missed, as it's a pretty incredible tale.

Mark Gatiss and Peter Mullan were the stand outs for me, as you'd expect.

Liv Tyler's character almost seemed an afterthought, as if they'd realised the other women they had were killed instantly, said nothing, or were the kings beard...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Bettany Hughes' 8 days that made Rome. There's some very interesting stuff in between the gory am-dram reconstructions. It does, though, feel a bit like a 1950s schoolboy's story of The Glory that was Rome, told through its Great Men [sic] rather than a more inclusive 21st century take on Roman history. I suspect its choice of the 8 days will be quite predictable.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 5013817, member: 9609"]the house last week was a bit yuk inside - looked like an underground car park. And having a dry-stone wall inside, how on earth would you keep that clean, it would be spider central[/QUOTE]
I loved that house... but mostly because if the exterior. A small building from the road and something much much bigger hidden beneath. I loved the exposed electrics, plumbing and ductwork inside... but yes, the walls could have done with a bit of render. (are we talking about the same house?)

Top Bottom