What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Sure, and until relatively recently he got all the credit for something that was almost entirely down to Ada's very unusual (for the time) genius.
Again, it is not entirely anything . They collaborated. She was also acknowledged during her (short) lifetime, including by Faraday. - Not really sure what you are trying to insinuate here ?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
:crazy: - I will move on whenever I want - :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been saving the last two episodes of Gotham for tonight... excellent stuff. Thought it would have tailed off by now but no sign of the writers running out of good ideas just yet (Heroes... I'm looking at you!)

I also found on my HD a BBC4 thing called Dear Television... various readers' letters from the forties to the noughties for ten minutes, like the best of Points of View.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm aware of her, and saw the link to the programme. I think it might have been more a case of Babbage collaborating with her though.

For the avoidance of doubt I'd intended "collaboration" to imply an equal contribution, rather using the word "helped". Whilst I don't really know about the split in the glory, I gather Ada was a proper mathematician, presumably far surpassing Babbage, but on the other hand I've not heard any great claim for her mechanical engineering prowess, where presumably Babbage was the expert.

My understanding was that "programmability" was the mostly her thing; very much ahead of its time. I know too little on the maths as to how much if at all, it anticipated Turing.

Another lady mathematician you might want to look up is Emmy Noether. Very poorly treated by the sexist establishment of the day, particularly so in her native Germany, but her tieing together of Group Theory / Symmetry with conservations laws in physics underpins a hell of a lot, maybe most, of most modern particle physics - Higgs boson etc. Sadly this is mostly beyond me though is on my reading list

Tin Pot

Guru
Humans All4

Humans? Idiots more like.

This is the third time I’ve tried to watch this series, so maybe be Im the idiot.

Episode 5 is meant to be really serious, but I’m giggling my head off.

?/10

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had a similar reaction when I watched Lexx. Season 1 had me thinking "this is VERY unusual". Season 2 was "WTH", 3 was "WTF" and Season 4 was a total p!sstake on the human race. Very, very strange series, that one.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had a similar reaction when I watched Lexx. Season 1 had me thinking "this is VERY unusual". Season 2 was "WTH", 3 was "WTF" and Season 4 was a total p!sstake on the human race. Very, very strange series, that one.

I too have a Lexx boxed set. A very strange thing indeed and I can't quite make up my.mind if I.like it. Brilliant and cheesy inequal measure. A couple of seasons to go so they're still in the other universe being chased by robit arms as far as I've got

Gotham
Late last night, when I got in from work
An interesting episode, with lots of new developments

Ivy is all grown up, & using plant toxins
Bruce is infected by them, by Ivy, & hallucinates, seeing a man shaped Bat...….,
Jim Gordon has a moustache, in the hallucination
Jerome Valeska is getting interesting
Lucius Fox is 'hypnotised' by Ivy (as is the entire GCPD)
It appears that Lea Thompkins is more involved with 'the Mob', that was previously suggested
Bruce swallows his pride, & rings Alfred

Top Bottom