What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Location
Warwick
We enjoyed the series of The Blame on ITVx
 

yello

back and brave
Location
France
Translation for TV is hard, made harder by the practical limitations of screen space and on screen pacing. Languages don't always translate simply, and to accurately translate a piece of dialogue might well require a great deal more 'wordage' than in the original language. That's not always practically possibly so approximation can be required.

I've chuckled at translations (from French) myself but have to respect the superior knowledge of the translator, and indeed have learnt from it as I've tried to reverse engineer the translation. That is, I know what the results are and I like to think about the path taken to get there. I find it worthwhile and aids my language understanding - even if I do think it a rubbish translation!
 

Binky

Veteran
Watched 4 episodes now of The Gentlemen series 2, it's brilliant. And fair play to Vinny Jones he's very good.

And cameo role for Chris Eubank Jr as well.
 
Last edited:

vickster

Squire
New series of Celeb Traitors last night

The Pitt on HBO Max is fantastic, binged all 3 series a little while back, well deserving of all its gongs. Like a super gritty ER

Reacher and Neagley on Amazon for violent, dgaf silliness

Apparently, The Blame on ITV is good so will watch that soon as mentioned above
Also Industry (as I have Myha'la in my work Traitors team :biggrin:)

I'll watch WAR which starts on Sky tonight and is being heavily trailed
 

Pblakeney

Über Member
Translation for TV is hard, made harder by the practical limitations of screen space and on screen pacing. Languages don't always translate simply, and to accurately translate a piece of dialogue might well require a great deal more 'wordage' than in the original language. That's not always practically possibly so approximation can be required.

I've chuckled at translations (from French) myself but have to respect the superior knowledge of the translator, and indeed have learnt from it as I've tried to reverse engineer the translation. That is, I know what the results are and I like to think about the path taken to get there. I find it worthwhile and aids my language understanding - even if I do think it a rubbish translation!

I find that as long as the subtitles mean that I can follow the plot it is the actor’s emotions that carry the film/programme.
That is sufficient enough for me.
 

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Location
Plymouth
Another vote for "Colin from Accounts". Never heard of it before, but being Aussie I knew it wouldn't disappoint. It tackles some difficult issues with typical Aussie humour and unapologetic bluntness. The same main male character (Patrick Brammal) is also in "Last Seen" which is a drama and on Apple TV, but worth a watch if you have it.
 
Top Bottom