What type of bike do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sKiTz-0

Hi all. I'm looking to get a new bike and could really do with some help/advice on what type of bike I need to be looking at.

I'm going to be using it for commuting to work a few days a week and the commute is 16 miles each way. Will also be using it for occasional weekend rides, but my priority is the commuting.

I could do the whole journey on the road. However; the route I would like to take would be ~5 miles on road ~11 miles on a trail that is an old railway line - part of it is tarmac, part is gravel (though smaller and more compact than a canal towpath) it's the Middlewood Way if anybody is local or knows it.

At the moment I have some old, cheap, heavy, dual suspension mountain bike. Which makes the journey around 2 hours. I used to do it in about an hour and a half 10 years ago last time I commuted to work.

I have been looking at the b'twin Triban range of bikes having seen the good reviews and the bang for your buck you get. If a road bike would be miles faster then I oculd commute on road. Though the preferable route that would be a more pleasant journey and a lot safer would be on the track. I don't think a road bike would be suitable for the track, but it is a long while since I have ridden on it.

I would like drop bars to give more hand positions and get a bit more aerodynamic. Must have quick release wheels for ease of getting the bike in the back of the car and being able to use my turbo trainer at home. I don't want any sort of suspension if it is going to waste valuable energy. Obviously the lighter, the better. Am I better off with some sort of hybrid? I keep reading differing opinions on if they are the best of both worlds, or jack of all trades, master of none.

Looking to spend £200-£300 and don't mind buying used to get something decent. Really just after a bit of advice on what type of bike to get. Road bike with wider tyres? Hybrid/cyclocross? Or MTB with slicks?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

gbb

Legendary Member
My gut reaction is hybrid. The Tribans are probably the cheapest entry level bikes out there but their wheelsets are a tad suspect judging by the amount of posts ive seen in here re their reliability. Bearing in mind the possible quality of riding surfaces youre going to encounter...im not sure it's the best option and also 25mm tyres tend to be a bit slippy on muddy wet or rough tracks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. You could go for any of those options but I'd say you might be better off with CX/gravel bike or a hybrid. Although the former might tax you budget a bit.
We get this sort of question a lot so maybe check through the previous posts to see if you can pick up some gems of wisdom. Might be worth checking the second hand market too. Speaking of which there is a cracking Kona Sutra for sale on here by @Alan Frame would suit your purpose down to the ground, great price too. Bear in mind a new one is over a grand.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fs-53cm-kona-sutra-touring-bike.221552/

Tangoup51

A hybrid would a good bike for this, but the distance of the commute is going to really slow down a hybrid.

A road bike would be outplayed offroad, even if you could fit 28c tires, it'd be skittish and unpleasant on a trail. - Perhaps not alot, but certainly if it's 11 miles and we're talking everyday commute.

A Tuned-up MTB would have the same drawbacks as the hybrid, although it would be more comfortable than the hybrid but as a result even slower.

A Cyclocross bike with 32-35c Tires is the best all-rounder for speed, comfort and versatility. That said, it is going to be the more expensive of the choices - so you're looking second hand really.

Matching all your criteria i'd say the Cyclocross is your best choice, it's the jack of all trades but the ace of one when you bias it toward one direction, i,e, you can switch out 35c tires for 25c tires and voila you have a road bike, put the tires back to the bigger size and you have a rigid Mtb, as a result you can play to fine-tune it. - I run my CX bike with 32c tires so I can go on/offroad as I please with No speed/comfort drawbacks.

I'd also say don't go outside your price range, I'll admit with the amount of miles youre putting in each day with the given surface, your bike is going to see some abuse and you're going to be awfully upset if your nice £1000 bike gets scuffed, scratched, dropped or dented.

I vote for going for a quality second-hand CX bike.

Something like this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-CX-2014-/122613640825?hash=item1c8c57ae79:g:7U0AAOSw0nJZdM1c

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
A hybrid would a good bike for this, but the distance of the commute is going to really slow down a hybrid.

A road bike would be outplayed offroad, even if you could fit 28c tires, it'd be skittish and unpleasant on a trail. - Perhaps not alot, but certainly if it's 11 miles and we're talking everyday commute.

A Tuned-up MTB would have the same drawbacks as the hybrid, although it would be more comfortable than the hybrid but as a result even slower.

A Cyclocross bike with 32-35c Tires is the best all-rounder for speed, comfort and versatility. That said, it is going to be the more expensive of the choices - so you're looking second hand really.

Matching all your criteria i'd say the Cyclocross is your best choice, it's the jack of all trades but the ace of one when you bias it toward one direction, i,e, you can switch out 32c tires for 25c tires and voila you have a road bike, put the tires back to the bigger size and you have a rigid Mtb, as a result you can play to fine-tune it. - I run my CX bike with 32c tires so I can go on/offroad as I please with No speed/comfort drawbacks.

I'd also say don't go outside your price range, I'll admit with the amount of miles youre putting in each day with the given surface, your bike is going to see some abuse and you're going to be awfully upset if your nice £1000 bike gets scuffed, scratched, dropped or dented.

I vote for going for a quality second-hand CX bike.

Something like this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-CX-2014-/122613640825?hash=item1c8c57ae79:g:7U0AAOSw0nJZdM1c

Solid advice. Perhaps @biggs682 may have something suitable?

ChrisEyles

Guru
A touring bike with 38mm tyres would also be ideal, though you'd need to go second hand on your budget.

I'd second biggs' suggestion for a rigid 90's MTB with near slick tyres, you can get some fantastic bargains and they ride very nicely once you've got them set up to your liking.

Sounds like a fantastic commute you've got there, I'm a tad envious!

KneesUp

Guru
I got taken on the Middlewood Way as a kid on a church outing. The hire bikes then were Raleigh 20s. I broke the chain.

HTH.

(I'd use an MTB with half way house tyres as per @mjr 's suggestion)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I found a photo of the unsurfaced section - looks like basically mud :sad: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5293536

Much as I'd love to suggest a roadster or touring bike with 37s, it does look like MTB territory - possibly with semi-knobblies rather than near-slicks.
That pic was taken mid winter. A CX/tourer could cope with that. After a heavy storm it might get a bit sticky.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

vickster

Legendary Member
Gravel bike/CX I'd say with mudguards with plenty of clearance between the mudguards and tyres...knobblies in the winter

Not a roadbike... as @jefmcg these arent suited to muddy, stony, gravelly paths as part of the Thames path yesterday...my CX on 32mm slicks was pretty hairy too but no clogging mud below the mudguards

However, CX models carry a price premium, so a rigid fork old Skool MTB might be better if £300 is top budget

This might do, albeit a little overbudget

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/voodoo-limba-cyclocross-road-bike

Does your employer offer cycle2work?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
I have a hankering for Ridgeback as giving good bang per buck. Not my scene but how about a used Ridgeback Advance?

Been around for a few years so should be able to pick up a 5 for your budget?

Top Bottom