What type of bike do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Just thinking some more.

If I wanted one bike to ride that route regularly, which would hopefully be suitable all year round, I think I might look for a rigid (ie with no suspension) and not-too-heavy MTB, and use different tyres at different times of year - knobblies when needed, something a bit slicker but with some tread for appropriate weather, and maybe even something a bit slimmer and slick for really dry weather (effectively, sort of, covering the range from MTB to hybrid)

I'd probably go for something local on eBay - which is how I got my GT MTB for £110 (albeit with front suspension), and I got a second pair of (new) wheels and tyres for around £100.

I also picked up a rigid Grisley MTB not long ago for just £30, which is aluminium and not overly heavy - it needs a bit of work, but probably no more than another £30 in costs.

For old MTBs, especially rigids, eBay has a lot of very good bargains if you're prepared to take a risk and know how to check it out and repair/service yourself. (And I confess I have to exercise strict self-control whenever I see an old Marin Bear Valley come up - a friend's was the first MTB I ever rode and I've always wanted one.)

As you already have an MTB with suspension, a rigid MTB might not be different enough to be attractive, and a genuine hybrid or a tourer might be better - but I thought I'd throw out the suggestion.

Top Bottom