What type of cleats are these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyR00

4 bolt. Also movable. I have little idea. The only ones I know are the 3 bolt triangular cleats.

Could you give a link to suitable cleats?

IMG_20180813_022140.jpg

They are SPD cleats.
They only use 2 bolts, so only one pair on holes is used.
So you can use either the front or back holes depending on where you want the cleats in relation to the ball of your foot.
Then fine tune the position by sliding/twisting the cleat before fully tightening the bolts

andrew_s

Legendary Member
They allow you to release by flexing your foot and pulling straight up as well as twisting out as per normal.
Which also means that they may release when you don't want them to, such as when struggling up a steep hill.
If you are already used to clipless pedals, I'd recommend the single release version (SH51).

Comment:
The soles of the shoes in the photo (Sidis?) look quite worn, so a new cleat is likely to touch down on the road or cafe floor.

Which also means that they may release when you don't want them to, such as when struggling up a steep hill.
If you are already used to clipless pedals, I'd recommend the single release version (SH51).

Comment:
The soles of the shoes in the photo (Sidis?) look quite worn, so a new cleat is likely to touch down on the road or cafe floor.
It doesn’t work like that. I’ve been using them for years. It’s quite a deliberate forward flex movement and you can’t pull out accidentally. Why would you want to make things more complicated than they need to be? It’s very handy to be able to pull out straight upwards if you have an unexpected stop moment. When you get used to it, it’s as natural as stepping off of a flat platform pedal.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It does with me.
If I wear the pair of shoes with SH56 cleats, I pull my foot out going up steep short hills unless I gear down. If I wear the (older) pair with SH51 cleats, I don't.
Pulling the foot out usually means walking the rest of the hill.

The whole point of SH56 cleats is that they release if you pull upwards, but it does mean that you can't pull up on the pedal for extra power (which is something I'd only do at low RPM going up a steep hill).
"Steep" starts at about 15%, but I have been entertaining myself with a short unmarked hill I found recently that my Garmin seems to think is about 33% (somewhat inconsistently giving gradients between 1 in 3.8 and 1 in 2.4). I've been using 36x32.

si_c

Guru
It does with me.
If I wear the pair of shoes with SH56 cleats, I pull my foot out going up steep short hills unless I gear down. If I wear the (older) pair with SH51 cleats, I don't.
Pulling the foot out usually means walking the rest of the hill.

The whole point of SH56 cleats is that they release if you pull upwards, but it does mean that you can't pull up on the pedal for extra power (which is something I'd only do at low RPM going up a steep hill).
"Steep" starts at about 15%, but I have been entertaining myself with a short unmarked hill I found recently that my Garmin seems to think is about 33% (somewhat inconsistently giving gradients between 1 in 3.8 and 1 in 2.4). I've been using 36x32.
This definitely, I accidentally got some multi release cleats and it's disconcerting to have your feet unclip when pulling away from traffic lights.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This definitely, I accidentally got some multi release cleats and it's disconcerting to have your feet unclip when pulling away from traffic lights.
I'm obviously not strong enough. Lol. I've used them for over a year now and it's never happened.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Multi release if you are a beginner. Then change to single release. Lots of folk give up with clipless as they can't get their feet out in a panic. Once you've learned, single release is the best way forward.

I wouldnt want to MTB or ride fixed gear with multi release. Recreational/pottering riding, then they would be ok, but so would flat pedals.

I believe the idea that pulling up on the pedal increases power has been thoroughly debunked. Some studies suggest it actually has exactly the opposite effect, making pedalling less efficient.
The only time I pull up is when my feet are getting a bit achey on a long ride, it sorts that out a treat, and I still haven’t had an unintentional release, because in order to get the multi release cleats to release on pull up, you have to push right forward on your toes first. If you get an accidental release, you haven’t got the pedal tension set high enough, and / or your foot is in a very strange position for normal riding.

Multi release if you are a beginner. Then change to single release. Lots of folk give up with clipless as they can't get their feet out in a panic. Once you've learned, single release is the best way forward.

I wouldnt want to MTB or ride fixed gear with multi release. Recreational/pottering riding, then they would be ok, but so would flat pedals.

The advantage of the multi release cleats is the ability to pull out by pretty much stepping off of the pedal as if it was a flat, but having the stability and security of a clip if your bouncing over pot holes / rough roads. They would be a nightmare on proper XC MTB stuff, but that’s a specific application. It’s quite handy to be able to ‘shake’ your foot to get out of a multi release cleated system as well, because you don’t always twist the ankle the same way, which can get a bit uncomfortable after a while.

Top Bottom