What type of Cyclist is the Brooks Classic Team Pro aimed at ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitars and Bikes

Ive been looking at the gorgeous Classic Team Pro saddle with copper rivets. My existing saddle on my CAAD8 105 is a San Marco Rolls (143mm wide) . The team pro is 160mm wide. I ride in a performance riding position , not stretched out nor begging dog, but somewhere in the middle and my saddle is just slightly higher than my handlebars. Im 50 yrs old bloke and ride about 4000 miles per year. The B17 is just too wide and looks bad on a road bike in my opinion , Egan Bernal isnt losing any sleep over me so the weight penalty is not an issue. With 143mm wide regular type saddle being a good fit for me, is the 160mm wide Brooks the right choice ? Ive tried a Spa cycles Aire which is narrower and was like sitting on the blade of an axe. Thanks for all suggestions.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
B17n a narrower version of The B17 ?

SGG on a bike

You can't put a Brooks saddle on a welded aluminium bike, that's just wrong! :eek:

You can. I've got a B17 on my welded ally road bike with a Carradice Nelson Long Flap attached to it, along with SPD pedals complete with trainer style mountain bike shoes. To complete the affect, I ride in a T shirt and normal shorts mostly, although I do occasionally use a high viz long sleeve cycling jersey in sub optimal visibility. I really don't care what people think too much. If they care, it's their problem, not mine. :-)

SGG on a bike

I should also point out that my £25 GT Outpost Trail is a much nicer bike to ride generally and a lot less buzzy. The Carradice gets swapped between the two as appropriate. (The GT wears a Spa Nidd, which is also really comfy now it's broken in)

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

You can. I've got a B17 on my welded ally road bike with a Carradice Nelson Long Flap attached to it, along with SPD pedals complete with trainer style mountain bike shoes. To complete the affect, I ride in a T shirt and normal shorts mostly, although I do occasionally use a high viz long sleeve cycling jersey in sub optimal visibility. I really don't care what people think too much. If they care, it's their problem, not mine. :-)
rock on dude, I agree 100%

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

what about original question guys, if my sitbones are good on 143,mm wide saddle, will the 160mm wide brooks be ok ?

SGG on a bike

Can't really help too much with your question, except to say that for me, the B17 was more comfy that the Nidd straight out of the box and took less breaking in (couple of weeks of daily rides and a few good doses of saddle soap). I would say it took about half the time compared to the Nidd, which even now is still a little firmer than the Brooks. Both are really comfy though, with the Brooks having the slight edge after about 500 miles on each.

Gunk

Guru
You can't put a Brooks saddle on a welded aluminium bike, that's just wrong! :eek:

I did.

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

Can't really help too much with your question, except to say that for me, the B17 was more comfy that the Nidd straight out of the box and took less breaking in (couple of weeks of daily rides and a few good doses of saddle soap). I would say it took about half the time compared to the Nidd, which even now is still a little firmer than the Brooks. Both are really comfy though, with the Brooks having the slight edge after about 500 miles on each.
I had a Nidd but it was far too wide and so hard i felt my rear end had been whacked repeatedly with a cricket bat. I would buy the pro if I knew the 160mm was correct width. £107 would be an expensive mistake.

Top Bottom