What type of drivers make you tense up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Buses! Not because they're all appalling drivers (although there seem to be quite a few on my route...), but because there are so many bus stops on my route; being overtaken by a bus means its usually about to pull in sharply and either a) force me off the road :biggrin: cause me to come to do an emergency stop or c) cause me to either wait behind or have to pull out to overtake - and on some sections my average speed and the frequency of bus stops means this happens at every stop once a bus has got past...

Also, as a BMW driver I have a few notes for you BMW hating crowd;

1) Some BMW drivers also use other forms of transport and don't behave like idiots around vulnerable road users.

2) When in a BMW no-one lets you out (certainly compared to driving my wife's Mini), which says quite a lot about the attitude of other motorists to 'executive' cars.

3) Watch out for Audis - I reckon they're going to be the next target for sweeping generalisations, particular RS4 drivers...

4) How much do you liked being heaped in with 'bl**dy cyclists always jumping red lights, ignoring one way streets, riding on pavements, blah blah...'

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Wasn't this thread, 'What type of driver....?'

If so, then why answer with BMW drivers?

Those answers are fine for, 'Drivers of which vehicle.....?'

Arch

Married to Night Train
I used to be guilty of BMW stereotyping, but now my brother in law has one as a company car, so I know there are at least two people (him and my sister) who drive one well. And come to think of it, we were passed nicely by several of them today.

I think once upon a time the stereotype held, which is why people now treat Beemers in the way they do, but these days I think dickheads drive all sorts. I have no idea what make of car it was just came past us on Bish Road, overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic and cutting back in so sharply that I braked so hard HelenD123 ran into my pannier.... (no harm done, beyond a considerable amount of surprised yelping...)

I suppose I tense up for an unusual engine note, something that indicates a non-standard exhaust. But mostly I just suspect that everyone will be dangerous, until proved otherwise.

GrasB

Veteran
Cars overtaking usually isn't a problem & there's not one type of road user that overtakes to close. It's more on-comming traffic which causes me the most alarm, you can see them... yes they've seen you but you know they've said to them selves "only a cyclist so there's enough room"... what a handful of inches either side of my handle bars is enough room? I think not!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
GrasB said:
Cars overtaking usually isn't a problem & there's not one type of road user that overtakes to close. It's more on-comming traffic which causes me the most alarm, you can see them... yes they've seen you but you know they've said to them selves "only a cyclist so there's enough room"... what a handful of inches either side of my handle bars is enough room? I think not!

Add to that their closing speed (60mph+/-) and your forward speed, and it makes for a scary time. I have had it done to me a few times.

Plax

Guru
I generally find most drivers fine, and haven't really noticed a pattern with a particular type of vehicle, unless you count buses.
1 bus driver passed so close I felt the bike get "sucked in" and nearly lost control of the steering, it was literally inches away from me on a 60mph road, by far my scariest moment.
I had another bus go to turn right from a side road - I was already on the main road going past, and they had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting me, and they acted as if it was my fault.
Another one I presume took umbridge to that fact I had the audacity to be cycling on the road. Past far too close, which I felt was deliberate and then put his hazard lights on after he passed, I presume for my benefit as there was nothing else about.
Another one drew up alongside me on the dual carriageway, opened his doors and told me I was cycling on the wrong side of the white lines - inferring that I should be cycling in that little hard shoulder bit that's usually strewn with debris.

Sure I've had shitty driving from other road users, but it hasn't been a particular model of vehicle and it has been a mix of genders and ages (I always find 4x4 drivers make some of the best overtakes for example). I suppose the bus ones stick out as they have been larger vehicles and one of the scariest incidents I've had.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
ComedyPilot said:
It's always the same, they'll mouth off at you when passing (in the safety of their metal cage) but won't stop to 'discuss things further' with a 15 stone, almost 6 foot, thai boxing ex-copper.

...it's the pink tu-tu.

GrasB

Veteran
Plax said:
1 bus driver passed so close I felt the bike get "sucked in" and nearly lost control of the steering, it was literally inches away from me on a 60mph road, by far my scariest moment.
Talking of busses passing closly the attached image is the result of a bus wing mirror v's my shoulder 8 years on: View attachment 4203 . There was about 10mph difference between us when the impact happened & I'm still not sure how I managed to stay on the bike. I was probably doing 19 to 20mph.

Most 4x4 drivers I encounter, besides out side schools, are using their car for work thus don't want to be without out & take care. Though with 4x4s near schools, along with people carriers & small fashionable hatchbacks, are usually clueless mothers who aren't intentionally trying to kill me, they just don't have very good driving skills & as long as they get to/from their kids school & the supermarket without an accident are blissfully unaware of their actions.

J4CKO

Old Mondeos with taped up bumpers

Range Rovers, mainly the Sport variety

Young women in Mini's and metal topped cabrios, usually texting.

Tippers

Crew Cab Pickups

Golf Diesels

Small MPV's, Scenics and Picassos.

I think some of the bigger cars seem worse due to size, plus when they hoof them they are quiet inside but very noisy outside.

orbiter

ron4322 said:
That's got me thinking. I sometimes move over if I think the driver coming the other is ABOUT TO OVERTAKE. I've never thought that by doing so I might actually "invite" someone to overtake dangerously close to a cyclist. I think I'll stop doing it.

When driving my WV I often pull OUT when I see a car approaching behind a bike, to say 'Don't you dare overtake'.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There are very few drivers that worry me. :smile: Seriously, most drivers out there are excellent, and do actually care about not hurting us. Spend a little time looking at the sea of positive experiences, and it's really easy to deal with the few motons.

For me, the ones that worry me are those with inappropriate engine use - revving and impatience is very clear to the ear. Also tailgaters. And yes, I do have headphones and listen to music, that doesn't prevent me hearing what's going on around me.

Top Bottom