What type of drivers make you tense up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
:smile:
ComedyPilot said:
It's always the same, they'll mouth off at you when passing (in the safety of their metal cage) but won't stop to 'discuss things further' with a 15 stone, almost 6 foot, thai boxing ex-copper.

Got it in one CP! Last Friday was approaching a roundabout, in a cycle lane and so was just about to go up the inside of the line of queuing traffic. As I did so I heard someone shouting behind me but only caught the end of the sentence which was "..........yer twat."

I looked to my right and saw a car with three lads in it, which had pulled level with me, but had to stop because of the queue of cars. As they slowed the front passenger said "Your back wheel is following your front wheel." and this coincided with me looking at the rear passenger and asking what he had said. The front passenger then started to repeat "Your back wheel is..." but I cut him off and said, "No , I heard what you said you pointless f*cker, I wanted to hear what your mate in the back said!"

The mate in the back was clearly at a loss, because when he had decided to call out that I was a twat, he hadn't reckoned on the fact that the car was going to be stuck in traffic, and I'm not sure what he expected, but a 16 stone six-footer wasn't part of his reckoning. He went white and rolled up the window! I then asked him, by leaning in through the front window past the intelligent lad in the front, whether he had the balls to say it to my face now we were at a standstill. He didn't.

They did however have the balls to wait until they finally overtook me two miles later (:laugh:) to shout twat at me again. By this time I was enjoying myself too much to really give a toss!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Anything with a pink interior and/or Playboy accessories. Occupant is likely to be a dopey teenage girl who can barely dress let alone pilot a car.

BigSid

Guru
snorri said:
I tense up when I see an oncoming car slow down and pull into their left. It's meant as an invitation to the vehicle behind to overtake me, and makes me feel very uncomfortable as it is likely to be a close overtake. If there is time I pull out further toward the middle of the road to block an overtake, which confuses the oncoming driver somewhat but ensures my safety!

When I'm in the car and see an oncoming cyclist with a car behind them I move towards the centre of the road to discourage the overtake (taking into account all other road/traffic conditions). I must admit I used to move to the left to try and give the overtaking car and therefore the bike more room until I started riding and saw things from behind the handlebars.

Big Sid

Dan B

Disengaged member
totallyfixed said:
Any vehicle where the driver thinks it's ok to drive in the dark or rain with just sidelights. Not permitted on the continent, must be dipped headlights.
On the open road, maybe. In town, I don't see the problem - if you can't see a car with sidelights on, what chance of noticing the pedestrian who's trying to cross the road?

I wonder sometimes if we're evolving into a species with no night vision at all

thomas

the tank engine
totallyfixed said:
Any vehicle where the driver thinks it's ok to drive in the dark or rain with just sidelights. Not permitted on the continent, must be dipped headlights.

At night okay...but in the rain? Sidelights have their use, for during dawn and dusk, or when it is overcast.

Some people should start to use sidelights, rather than normal beam during certain times.

Ok then boy racers.

J4CKO

upsidedown said:
Anything with a pink interior and/or Playboy accessories. Occupant is likely to be a dopey teenage girl who can barely dress let alone pilot a car.

Yes, bang on speciall needs, was probably the novelty news item about passing on their 33rd attempt, ditto anything with many stickers or fluffy toys, care in the community driving sponsored by whatever the opposite of Mensa is.

coruskate said:
On the open road, maybe. In town, I don't see the problem - if you can't see a car with sidelights on, what chance of noticing the pedestrian who's trying to cross the road?

I wonder sometimes if we're evolving into a species with no night vision at all

You are missing the point, there are other people who have limited vision who will not pick up on a car with only side lights on amongst the many other lights in an urban environment. What if same visually impaired person is confronted by a car with one side light not working? Studies in Germany found that this type of vehicle in certain light conditions can be mistaken for a bicycle.
As for the rain situation, always dipped headlights in rain, I'm not going to bore the more intelligent amongst you, the answer is obvious.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
totallyfixed said:
You are missing the point, there are other people who have limited vision who will not pick up on a car with only side lights on amongst the many other lights in an urban environment. What if same visually impaired person is confronted by a car with one side light not working? Studies in Germany found that this type of vehicle in certain light conditions can be mistaken for a bicycle.
As for the rain situation, always dipped headlights in rain, I'm not going to bore the more intelligent amongst you, the answer is obvious.

It's a war of escalation, and I'm a fully-paid up participant. I'm with Coruskate's opinion, btw.

I get tense when:

I hear a 'whoopee cushion' exhaust. (Why a car constantly farting is seen as cool i don't know).

I hear an atmospheric dump valve. (Pointless waste of 40% of the car horsepower)

I hear a 4 wheel drive approaching. (Can climb Mt Fuji, but can't cross a white line to overtake me).

I see any driver who thinks they're in control by driving with their fist at 12 o'clock on the wheel. (What are they doing with the other hand?).

Top Bottom