what tyres do you use / recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dirtybackbeat

hi all, looking at new tyres at the moment and wondered what tyres people use and would recommend. 700 x 23. looking for something durable, puncture resistant(ish) and fast(ish)

I'm currently running continental ultra race which my bike (charge Juicer) came with.

any help / recommendations would be great. cheers!

conti gatorskins and nothing else for me
rolleyes.gif

Usually Conti GP4000s, but new bike came with Schwalbe Durano S, it's a a very fast rolling tyre but too soon to rate it's durability in average conditions. I did manage to cut the rear while riding in the Lake District, but I had ran over some flint chippings so it was hardly surprising.

Oh yes, Krylion Carbons have always been good too me, I used those before the GP's, but I'm sure I heard mixed reviews a while ago after Michelin moved the manufacturing to the far east, but they still get highly rated in tyre threads today.

The best compromise - which I presume you want - are Michelin Pro Race 3's.

They are not the hardest wearing, most puncture resistant or fastest tyre out there but they come close to the top in all 3 categories.

Garz

Squat Member
I have currently got Conti GP4000s and gatorskins. Overall the GP4000s seem better but they have done far less mileage than the gatorskins. The gatorskins have taken a battering over the winter till now with only 2 rear punctures and 1 front in 1500 miles.

I used schwalbe lugano's the other year over winter and they were great for a cheap'n cheerful option. I tried some michelin folding tyres and wasn't too impressed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use gatoskins currently and find they are good but i will be looking at Durano plus as they have a rubber layer like a marathon plus in the tyre and come in 23`s .They were very highly rated in a cycling plus review a while back.

schwalbe-duranoplus-zoom.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
conti gatorskin hardshells

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'll add my selection of tyres, in the vain hope of trying to find a consensus on the subject:

Vittoria rubino pro III - middle weight tyres with puncture protection, unless you're racing these are capable and practical in dry weather, I've never felt disadvantaged when using these tyres.

Continental gatorskin - heavy, but fast rolling tyres with serious puncture protection, these will be on my bike from September until April.

zacklaws

Guru
Bontrager all weather hardcase, the only tyres I have been able to wear out purely through riding after aprox 3500 and not had to replace due to splitting, rims tearing off and cuts etc and the puncture protection is excellent. Plus the price is right, about £24 a tyre my last pair, but I think you can get them cheaper if you shop about

My rear tyre is a conti 4 seasons, iirc it got one snakebite when it was my front tyre (it was moved to the rear at 3000miles approx) its now about 7500 miles old no further p'tures (touchwood). I would point out though I'm light on p'tures in general (touch wood again ;-) ) but for a good rolling, grippy and p'ture resistance I'd go again for a conti but cost may rule it out :-(

Top Bottom