what tyres for my commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam the Eagle

I currently have Schwalbe Marathon+ fitted on my commuter but need to find something else as they are a real b*tch to fit back on the rims, therefore unsuitable for roadside repair.
I have tried the Kenda Kwest but it is nowhere as grippy as the Marathon.
Can anybody recommend good grippy tyres which are easy enough to fit?

Thanks

bad boy

Über Member
What about the Spez all condition armadillos great puncture resistance I think the best personally, they are stiff but ive managed to get them on with my hands no problem.

Norm

Wow, are we privileged with the tyres around at the moment. I tried to change the 27 x 1 1/4 tyres on my old bike last night. It took me over an hour and that was with tyre levers. No QR hubs and you have to take the brake blocks out to get the tyres past them, and that's before I'd even started to try getting the tyre off the rim.

With the newer bikes, I'll change the tyres before a ride to suit the conditions. :biggrin:

The Schwalbe M+ are stiffer than the average tyre, Boo Boo, but their (apparent) increased puncture resistance should mean that you don't have to get them off so often. A couple of plastic tyre levers are neither heavy nor voluminous, it might be the easy / cheap solution. Spez Armadillos are good, though, and will be fitted to my ped when new tyres are required.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sam the Eagle said:
I currently have Schwalbe Marathon+ fitted on my commuter but need to find something else as they are a real b*tch to fit back on the rims, therefore unsuitable for roadside repair.
I have tried the Kenda Kwest but it is nowhere as grippy as the Marathon.
Can anybody recommend good grippy tyres which are easy enough to fit?

Thanks

I think you are missing the point of Schwalbe Marathon's, they are fit and forget tyres, so long as you keep them pumped up you should have to do any roadside repairs...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've got conti 4 seasons on my hybrid, and they are a right pain to get back on. so they one time i've had a puncture was not pleasant. I would now much prefer the ability to remove my tyres quick and fix the puncture there and then or replace the tube as in the long run i think it will save me time. but maybe not money.

OP
OP
Sam the Eagle

Sam the Eagle

HJ said:
I think you are missing the point of Schwalbe Marathon's, they are fit and forget tyres, so long as you keep them pumped up you should have to do any roadside repairs...

yes I know I shouldn't have to worry about p*nct*res but they still happen. I had two in September, and I each time I shredded the skin off my thumbs trying to push the M+ back on

Norm said:
The Schwalbe M+ are stiffer than the average tyre, Boo Boo, but their (apparent) increased puncture resistance should mean that you don't have to get them off so often. A couple of plastic tyre levers are neither heavy nor voluminous, it might be the easy / cheap solution. Spez Armadillos are good, though, and will be fitted to my ped when new tyres are required.

I find that tyres levers don't really help putting the tyre back on, but maybe I'm not doing it right? :biggrin:

gaz said:
I've got conti 4 seasons on my hybrid, and they are a right pain to get back on. so they one time i've had a puncture was not pleasant. I would now much prefer the ability to remove my tyres quick and fix the puncture there and then or replace the tube as in the long run i think it will save me time. but maybe not money.

that's exactly my point, thanks.
Also on my commute I know pretty much where the nearest shop is at all times, so last time I had one near Stockwell I walked to Brixton cycles only to find out they open at 10am on thursdays. Prior to that I was riding a Dahon Cadenza, all I had to do was fold the bike and take the tube home. Maybe I'll go back to the foldie after all.

Top Bottom