What was my cadence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
On my commute this morning I was following the draft of a lorry out of a roundabout and got up to 40.7mph on my slicked MTB commuter with 48-11 gearing. Can anyone tell me what my cadence was at that speed (stares towards MacB's corner :tongue:).

raindog

er.....
On 48x11 I would've thought you would max-out way before that speed.
Must've been a sight to see though :tongue:

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
raindog said:
On 48x11 I would've thought you would max-out way before that speed.
Must've been a sight to see though :tongue:

I'm glad it was early and quiet round these parts so there was nobody else around!

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Cheers GrasB. There's always a lot of chat about cadence and I don't think I really have a high one naturally, but I have been working on spinning lower gears and have noticed my ability to spin in a higher gear has improved though it still has a way to go. My next computer (which will be in the next month or so) will have the ability to measure cadence.

Well done elud. I downloaded a wee bit of software a while back (machinehead), its seems to be OK, it says something between 123-124rpm.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
HLaB said:
Well done elud. I downloaded a wee bit of software a while back (machinehead), its seems to be OK, it says something between 123-124rpm.

That looks like an interesting piece of software, unfortunately for me it's PC only! Anyone want to write a Mac version?

GrasB

Veteran
I'd recommend excel or numbers (OOo is just too slow with the graphs for my liking) you can make a spreadsheet to do that easily enough, I have one at home that gives me a lot more information than that.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You can use the spreadsheet from here. It automatically tabulates your geared-wheel set up in inches (which is the "equivalent" diameter of an un-geared wheel) for whatever tyre/chainring/cassette configuration you have. Obvious only the rear tyre spec is relevant.

Cadence is then Speed (in mph) x 336 / Geared-wheel (in inches). If you were on 26 x 1.5" (i.e. 38-559 tyres) your cadence was around 125.4 rpm.

If you don't have Excel, although I have not tried it, the spreadset might work on the NeoOffice freeware Mac.

Top Bottom