What was this event yesterday (Sunday)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedFeend

Yesterday there were hundreds of riders in staggered groups, passing north through Crowland for the greater part of the day,(between Peterborough (Cambs) and Spalding (Lincs). Can anyone tell me where they had come from and where they were headed?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must have been a sportive or charity of some sort

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

Not sure what was happening north of the county, but yesterday was the British Cycling London to Cambridge ride, so there were lots of riders south of the city.
We are 40 miles north of Cambridge so if they were taking part in that event, they were a bit lost :-)

Must have been something big, not just a local event cos there were literally hundreds of riders, mostly carrying sustainance on board.

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

Thanks. That explains it. I will keep my eyes out in case they come back this way, although I can't help but think there must be a more direct route than through here. Like via Stamford for example.

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

The route is here: (this is the relevant section anyway)

http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com/st-ives--kirton

I had ambitions to do this this year, but life got in the way. In a good way, because since I met Night Train I have other things to do at weekends than go out alone cycling. I struggle with 50 miles now!
Thank you, and I send my best wishes to you for your extracycling activities. Maybe attempt the trip next year?

Good luck to all the participants. It's way out of my league.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thank you, and I send my best wishes to you for your extracycling activities. Maybe attempt the trip next year?

Good luck to all the participants. It's way out of my league.

It's held every 4 years, so maybe one day...

If it's still on the forum somewhere, Arallsop wrote a brilliant account of his LEL 4 years ago, and then published it as a book and e-book. It's called Barring Mechanicals, and it's inspiring and funny!

Top Bottom