What we can or cannot now do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I am in a similar position with a cottage in the Highlands.

The conditions of my building and contents insurance stipulate that it must not be left unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days. That means I do a monthly check that all is wind and watertight and no pipes have burst etc. I am currently on two weeks’ leave and due to be going up this weekend. We have enough supplies in to keep us fed and whiskied for a fortnight so wouldn’t need to shop.

Should I go and spend the week or just overnight, or not go at all and risk not having insurance cover when I finally get up there and find burst pipes? Hmmm...

We’ve decided not to go.

The local MP and MSP have both tweeted asking people not to use the Highlands to isolate themselves so we’re going to respect that. It would be selfish to do otherwise. It’s not as if we’ll never get another chance.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I’m sorry it’s been cancelled. I do hope you can arrange something where you get together. IMO family time is so important for our elderly relatives and loved ones. Social distancing is one thing but where the risk of transmission is low, surely the benefits of spending time together outweigh the risks.

We decided to adopt my idea of meeting at a motorway service area.

All of the food outlets were open as usual, but there was no indoor seating.

The fixed seats were cordoned off, and the loose seats had either been taken away or stacked.

There was some picnic tables near the entrance which were in use, so it appears outside seating is allowed.

My brother and mother, who travelled together, brought enough sarnies for all of us.

We bought hot drinks and consumed the lot in my brother's car - it was too chilly in the wind to sit outside.

The trip was reasonably safe as regards virus transmission.

None of us had any significant contact with other people, both during the journey and at the meeting.

Any transmission battle between brother and mother is long since lost, since he is all but her carer.

Me sitting in the car with them is a consideration, I could have given it to them, or they to me.

None of us have any symptoms, so I'm hopeful we will all live to see our next birthdays.

Smudge

Veteran
Beautiful sunny day down here in the south west. Ordinarily i would have been out on my motorcycle, first decent weather riding day we've had on a weekend for many months.
But going to any bike meets will be out, also wont be able to have the usual meal out. These two things are always incorporated in my ride outs.
Not sure there's any point.

D

Deleted member 26715

Beautiful sunny day down here in the south west. Ordinarily i would have been out on my motorcycle, first decent weather riding day we've had on a weekend for many months.
But going to any bike meets will be out, also wont be able to have the usual meal out. These two things are always incorporated in my ride outs.
Not sure there's any point.
Just seen about 10 bikes line astern riding into Doncaster not sure where they were heading, our R1200GS ran out of MOT yesterday, need to see if I can get an MOT or it'll have to be SORN

Smudge

Veteran
Just seen about 10 bikes line astern riding into Doncaster not sure where they were heading, our R1200GS ran out of MOT yesterday, need to see if I can get an MOT or it'll have to be SORN

One of my bikes is due its first mot in may, plus front tyre is hitting its wear bar, so that will also have to be done before the mot. Not sure whether i'll be able to get either of these done. So i could also be sorning it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not cancelled so far, due tomorrow. But I've no way of getting there in time.* Means I'll have not turned up, which gets me removed from the list.

New bus timetables started yesterday, with services starting later than this time last week.
Is the hospital/clinic beyond cycling range? Go by rail instead?

It seems daft that they haven't factored in the current travel difficulties!

classic33

Leg End Member
Is the hospital/clinic beyond cycling range? Go by rail instead?

It seems daft that they haven't factored in the current travel difficulties!
They used to send a text message at the start of the week reminding you about the appointment. Nothing this time, so I'm assuming I'm no longer on the list.

Leeds isn't that far/beyond cycling range. Used to cycle to work there. With the new timetable starting, and keyworker travel only on the trains at the time(Early morning rush hours). Would it have been worth travelling just to be turned away.

It's turned into a "wait and see" for now. Routine appointments were just stopped. I'm not the only one in this situation, just lousy timing on the dates.

Top Bottom