What Were Your Teachers Like At School ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was just thinking of my maths and form teacher from way back in the 60's . It was a Comprehensive school .
Our maths teacher was ex RAF , he might have been a Squadron leader but I'm not sure . All we knew was that he used to be pretty high up in the service and used to lecture us about it from time to time .
One of our main tricks for getting out of doing a maths lesson was for one of us to ask him a question about the RAF . This would result in an hour long lecture about life in the RAF . We didn't mind as it would last the length of the lesson and we would get out of it . It is a wonder that we learnt anything . Oh apart from the RAF .

Similar here, our Maths teacher (Comprehensive in the 70's) was a former Regimental Sergeant Major in the Royal Artillery. Ramrod straight, and could hit a boy at the back of the class, caught talking, with a very well aimed artillery shell .... sorry ... piece of chalk.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think many teachers must have been drafted in from the military as it wasn't so long after the war.
We also had a ex army man for Maths, Colonel Newmarch.
I think we also had a trick like Illaveago's for getting him onto another subject to distract him.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I had a memorable Physics teacher, he wielded about 3 foot of the thick end of a shattered pool cue with insulation tape wrapped round the splintered end. Can you imagine that now!?!?
He used it as a pointer, as a way of conveying emphasis with a swoop, as a wake up tool (bashed on the table), and as a disciplinary tool (bashed on pupils).

He also carried about 20 house bricks in the panniers on his Harry Hall tourer for the extra exercise benefit, at age 60ish. Total nut case.

I was not a great student and expected poor results in the sciences, but I got a B in Physics. Make of that what you will.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
We had many ex-forces teachers at my school - they were all very eccentric at best and sadistic at worst. What I didn't know at the time was that they were all people who had been treated for shellshock and other related conditions during the war and after, including the Korean war. Teaching was seen as an avenue for them back into society, which it was, but those at my school were not employable anywhere else and stayed on until into the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Most where ok, two child abuser's Both prosecuted.

We were of the generation that things changed at school. First year at grammar school at the end there was a ban on corporal punishment in state schools. Ours was independent so it took another year but the school stopped it early. One mate got the case 4 or 5 times in his first year. The way the head made the kid open the sliding glass door of the bookcase behind him to the side of the doorway, reach inside to take the cane off the special stand it was stored on like a Japanese samurai family sword, then hand it to the head and be beaten until he was crying. If that happened quickly less hits but some kids were determined not to and got a few more. They were all sobbing when back in their classroom.

Later on an older teacher stood in for our normal teacher. He was very strict. The first kid to test him ended up the whole lesson holding up a chalk to the blackboard with his nose and both arms straight out of the body. If his arms lowered or the chalk dropped he got a whack with the board chalk wiper from across the room. He then had to pick it up, hand it to the teacher and go back to holding the chalk and his arms up. He was wrecked by the end. That was several years after corporal punishment was outlawed.

Of course we had good teachers too but we remember the bad ones more as they had a psychological effect on you. In my primary school we had a teacher who I modern times would be locked up for a very, very long time. She ruined kids and that's not an understatement. Kids she picked on carried the damage into adulthood. She made turned them from bright and confident kids to victims. I don't mean victims of hers but victims right through school years. She put the target on them and it stuck to them. Oh, she was protected by her head, fellow teachers, unions, LEA and a system that institutionally didn't listen or protect children. Dark ages indeed.

Sorry for being so negative but I'm not even 50 but I have seen things at school that today's school kids would simply not believe happened.

On a brighter side I was lucky in a few inspirational teachers made me. My gcse English teacher, a level physical chemistry teacher who lmerit getting bored so would digress to little shows like chip on fire or hydrogen rocket bouncing dangerously round the kab, etc. Or the deputy head who started at the school as a trainee caretaker without any school qualifications who ended up getting a degree from a very good university then teaching qualification all while working as a caretaker at the school. He worked there all his working life and had great respect from all the kids. He had general studies lessons where he taught us about art, literature, classical music and a whole load of other things that normal lessons never covered.

Basically I got from them a critical awareness of things, chemistry education taught in a daring but effective way and a vast general knowledge/appreciation of things outside of the science stream I was always headed for. It's the rounding of you that good teachers give. The bad ones leave nothing but damage. Indifferent ones simply make things harder to learn.

Most where ok, two child abuser's Both prosecuted.
They didn't prosecute the abusive one in my primary school they protected her by bullying parents into silence. Luckily it was psychological damage only. I think that counts as less negative but I suspect the damage was not much different long term.

I went to a grammar School where they picked teachers on their violent tendencies I am sure.
Chemistry teacher would whacjk you with a bunsen burner pipe, his favourite thing was to make the class stand on the lab stools. then ask questions, if you got it wrong he would kick the stool away.

Physics teacher , 3 ft long piece of 2x2.
French teacher a book around the back of the head.
Geography teacher board rubber
the list goes on.
I was in a class when the wood work teacher smashed a kids hand with a wooden mallet.
History teacher beat the hell out of a kid for calling another kid a spastic, full on fists etc ( we did not know his kid was disabled)
Both these teachers seemed to get away with it.
We never had detentions though, just a bit of swift pain. My son said he wished he went to school then as preferable to a boring detention.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Senior school (Grammar), 1958-1963, Most of the teachers were ok, a couple of idle ones, and, a couple of “floggers”, but, mostly, ok and “strict but fair”.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
With the exception of a certain Mr Vincent who managed to make maths interesting and informative they varied from poor to utter crap.

Several were out and out sadists who would have been jailed today for the way they treated children. By far the worst were the nuns and priests I had to suffer at a couple of schools. Religious nutters should not be allowed within a mile of children, apart from their psychotic tendencies they were unbelievably thick in the main.

A girls-only fee paying public school (80s / early 90s), so incredibly traditional. The majority of the staff were female, and ideas were deeply entrenched about what kinds of things were suitable for girls to study.

So when someone like me turns up, who wants to be an automotive engineer / work with racing cars, any pretense of educational and pastoral support went right out of the window. There were quite a few footballers' daughters in my year, and the teachers tended to turn a blind eye to the bullying (mainly psychological) that went on, instigated by these girls. Basically, they didn't want to grass on the little darlings to their famous fathers - this included England internationals & TV pundits. So it were their victims who carried the can.

My last four years there were absolute hell (GCSE & A-Level) and I do not remember the members of staff there with any great fondness.

Top Bottom