What wheels for less than £400?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I thought about having a pair of the H+Son SL42 rim's built onto a powertap (in fact been looking at those rims on and off for about 3 years now, in various guises) and a matching disc cover for race day (with a Trispoke on the front for TT'ing, the other SL42 on the front for training, crits and RR's), but now I have gone off the powertap idea in favour of a crank based power meter!

I have also been saving up for Power Tap long enough to now have moved onto saving up for a crank one :laugh:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
These I am led to beleive are are a cracking set of off the shelf light weight handbuilt wheels.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Just been reading up on these and they do look good value. Very light for the £

They do don't they :tempted:

Hmmm...., buy Surosa with stock wheels and Tiagra (£829) but upgrade the brake levers to 105 so have the cables neatly tucked under the bar tape and go for a compact (slightly cheaper). Switch tiagra groupset and new 105 levers onto the CAAD - cost about £80 for the shop to switch. Buy wheels above-use on CAAD, switch the Shim R500's onto the Surosa, keep the stock surosa wheels as a spare set when the Shimano's wear out.

Could be a winner.

Hacienda71

I had been talking to a couple of Racers I know about a new wheelset and one of them had suggested them as being gvfm. TBH I think they use higher end stuff themselves. They both have high end TT bikes with deep section carbon wheels as well as their race bikes, but if you want to use the wheels for everyday riding as well as having a go at TTing next season deep section wheels would not be the best idea imho.

There is a review of them Here and all the user reviews I have seen seem to back this up. Even discounted just out of my current price point though or I would get a set.

Hacienda71

As Fossy says re handbuilts, Paul at Rick Greens in Handforth builds them. I had a really good chat with him about handbuilts a few months ago, he was helpfull without pushing anything on me. He is a good TT rider and his son Jack is a national TT champ (you probably have seen him on Strava) he really knows what he is talking about, good lbs.
They open late on Thursdays, it might be worth popping in one night.

VamP

Banned
This is not a bad overview of handbuilt options covering most avenues.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
This is not a bad overview of handbuilt options covering most avenues.
Thanks, but I found it quite patronising.

Stuff like

Most off-the-peg wheels are designed with a max weight rider of about 85kg. They may say they can take more than that but the durability will be compromised.

puts me off them as a company to be honest.

VamP

Banned
Thanks, but I found it quite patronising.

Stuff like

puts me off them as a company to be honest.

Sure. But you can look beyond the attitude to the nuggets of hard facts, if you want to... Certainly the IRD Niobium rims are very worth consideration.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I had been talking to a couple of Racers I know about a new wheelset and one of them had suggested them as being gvfm. TBH I think they use higher end stuff themselves. They both have high end TT bikes with deep section carbon wheels as well as their race bikes, but if you want to use the wheels for everyday riding as well as having a go at TTing next season deep section wheels would not be the best idea imho.

There is a review of them Here and all the user reviews I have seen seem to back this up. Even discounted just out of my current price point though or I would get a set.

Depends how deep. 30-50mm is IMO probably the best all rounder. Deep enough for some aero benefit in a TT and fast flat rides, robust, stiff (good for climbing too), reasonable weight, not to badly affected by cross winds, look good.

U

User6179

below £400 I would go for Easton EA70s - can currently be had for around £250 or less if you shop around. For that price it's a seriously good wheelset.

Will snap the guys hand of for these at this price!
Have you got a link for these as have tried google but cant find them anywhere near as cheap?

Top Bottom