What will your main meal be on christmas day??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Well, my Atum de cebolada was reliably delicious, while Mrs Poacher made her trademark bread & butter pudding with Myers plum bread*, my marmalade from last January (the "ladies'" version with thin peel and white sugar rather than the manly version I made next day with more 'robust' sugars and thicker peel) and the yolks from my Co-op yellow sticker outing, 10 free range eggs for 31p. I daren't ask her for the recipe, as she guards it jealously and bans me from the kitchen while she's preparing it. The whites from those incredibly cheap eggs will feature in tomorrow's pavlova, also her protected zone. Breakfast was poached eggs with sliced tomatoes on crushed avocadoes (50p for 2 on Co-op yellow sticker) on toast from the wholemeal loaf I made last Wednesday. By the way, Seville oranges were on sale in our local fruit'n'veg shop last week. They seem to get earlier each year - last year's marmalade was made on 5th & 6th January.
* Not the best, which is Welbournes of Navensby

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

I may have overdone it a bit... :blush: Think Geraldine Grainger in the Vicar of Dibley Christmas special. The one with the multiple lunches - was on telly last night, incidentally...

Everything was absolutely gorgeous. :hungry:

Well, my Atum de cebolada was reliably delicious, while Mrs Poacher made her trademark bread & butter pudding with Myers plum bread*, my marmalade from last January (the "ladies'" version with thin peel and white sugar rather than the manly version I made next day with more 'robust' sugars and thicker peel) and the yolks from my Co-op yellow sticker outing, 10 free range eggs for 31p. I daren't ask her for the recipe, as she guards it jealously and bans me from the kitchen while she's preparing it. The whites from those incredibly cheap eggs will feature in tomorrow's pavlova, also her protected zone. Breakfast was poached eggs with sliced tomatoes on crushed avocadoes (50p for 2 on Co-op yellow sticker) on toast from the wholemeal loaf I made last Wednesday. By the way, Seville oranges were on sale in our local fruit'n'veg shop last week. They seem to get earlier each year - last year's marmalade was made on 5th & 6th January.
* Not the best, which is Welbournes of Navensby

Ah, that's a Delia Smith recipe btw. :laugh:

I make it on the odd occasion, but as I don't like meringue (too sweet), I use the whole egg and thence fewer of them. And my own prize-winning "double orange" marmalade. :hungry:

P.S. See you had a productive yellow stickering session. :okay:

That's true, but it's still cold.

I've no objection to cold meat - left over beef or chicken is just as nice as hot, but I would prefer hot vegetables with it.

If my brother buys the Kia electric car he's thinking of, next year we could plug in a cooker because the car has a three pin socket which I'm told will produce enough amps to run high drain appliances.

Insulated food flasks would see you sorted, then... ;)

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Ah, that's a Delia Smith recipe btw. :laugh:

I make it on the odd occasion, but as I don't like meringue (too sweet), I use the whole egg and thence fewer of them. And my own prize-winning "double orange" marmalade. :hungry:

P.S. See you had a productive yellow stickering session. :okay:
Assuming you mean the B&B pudding, a little detective work revealed a gap in the cookbook library where Tamasin Day-Lewis' Kitchen Bible normally lives, so I guess that's the source. Mind you, cookbook writers "borrow" recipes from others, so it may be closely related to a Delia.
However, neither, as far as I know, specify Lincolnshire plum bread as an ingredient. :hungry:

Assuming you mean the B&B pudding, a little detective work revealed a gap in the cookbook library where Tamasin Day-Lewis' Kitchen Bible normally lives, so I guess that's the source. Mind you, cookbook writers "borrow" recipes from others, so it may be closely related to a Delia.
However, neither, as far as I know, specify Lincolnshire plum bread as an ingredient. :hungry:

I use yellow sticker buns or fruit loaf :blush:

I'm more of a Hairy Bikers gal myself. ^_^

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a Morrisons 'Christmas Dinner' pasty (and brussels :rolleyes:) for my tea tonight. Jeez, it was horrible!xx( Luckily it was a yellow sticker item, so I paid 50p and not the original 2 quid for it. The contents were pure processed offal/gunk with some horrible either brown sauce or ketchup taste. I don't like either. My own fault I know for buying such shoot, but for 50p it was worth a gamble.🧐

Mike_P

Guru
Morrisons and quality are not necessarily compatible IMO, the store made bakery section always amazes me with the cakes looking like a 2year old has decorated them. Boxing Day dinner was a Festive bangers and mash using up most of the left over chipolata "pigs in blankets".

Top Bottom