What will your main meal be on christmas day??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Mrs B and daughter still at home are vegetarian so: Mushroom and cashew loaf, carrots cooked in cider, mushroom sauce and sesame roast potato. The absence of meat doesn't bother me.

It's my annual treat!

I'm actually pescatarian in that I eat oily fish and some shellfish; however I will quite happily eat 'straight' meat if I know who it comes from and where/how it's been slaughtered, but it gets a bit complex explaining that bit of it, can too easily lead to arguments when that was not my intention at all, and I've only ever met, in person, one person who has a similar concept; they were a high-welfare pig farmer with their own slaughtering and butchering facilities, and so it was a bit (a lot!) easier for them ... so to all intents and purposes I am vegetarian. Much easier to 'explain' in social situations, in fact needs very little explanation at all nowadays and usually - but not always! - works wherever one is in the world.

If I could keep poultry again I'd happily eat that, as I used to.

It's not the eating of meat I'm opposed to but its (often) means of production and the (huge - greatly increased since larger abbattoirs became 'the norm') levels of stress associated with the process of slaughter - mostly, to be frank, in the process leading up to the slaughter, rather than the actual death-dealing itself.

So - I'm having Cowman's sausages for Christmas dinner and I have a salmon steak in the freezer which I'll eat some time between Christmas and New Year. I'm not entirely happy with industrially-farmed fish, again it's the handling immediately pre-death which concerns me; the Humane Slaughter Association (of which I am a supporter) has done some excellent work there - although there's still a long way to go.
enjoy your Cowmans then.
Must admit I rather like the idea of quality sausage and mash for christmas dinner.
Particularly if with a nice rich beer. Champion from Lidl? May try next year,
Please report back - never had anything from Cowmans though I know they are supposedly renowned.
Maybe I've never set foot in it as my Grandad told me about an exchange he had with the Mr Cowman of the time during the great depression when he was looking for work. As I recall my grandad told him to stuff it.:smile:

KnittyNorah

Über Member
enjoy your Cowmans then.
Must admit I rather like the idea of quality sausage and mash for christmas dinner.
Particularly if with a nice rich beer. Champion from Lidl? May try next year,
Please report back - never had anything from Cowmans though I know they are supposedly renowned.
Maybe I've never set foot in it as my Grandad told me about an exchange he had with the Mr Cowman of the time during the great depression when he was looking for work. As I recall my grandad told him to stuff it.:smile:

I buy sausages from them once or twice a year, they are VERY good. It's not the Cowman family run it now, its the Cowburn family but I know what you mean about not setting foot in places/not buying a certain brand due to a relative's story from almost a century ago!

I buy sausages from them once or twice a year, they are VERY good. It's not the Cowman family run it now, its the Cowburn family but I know what you mean about not setting foot in places/not buying a certain brand due to a relative's story from almost a century ago!
You sure that's not one of those corporate name change manoeuvres? Suspiciously similar.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Forgot to get the turkey out of the freezer :sad:

Bacon joint tomorrow, the bird will have to wait till Boxing day. Ah well, you can never remember what day it is at this time of year anyway.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I like how my #folks# have changed.

When we had kids, little ones, Xmas Dinner was late... 5-7 pm... never changed. We had 'duties' at MIL's house for years - i.e. old, fit in etc.

This year is the first time we've got my family all together in a very long time. My 'kids' are 18 and 21. The other's are 3 and 1 (bro and sis kids).

Mum, 'Kids need to eat by 4pm so come round by 3:30. Bearing in mind we are all cooking everything other then my mum vaporising the turkey, we said, see you two hours before.... 4pm is late for me on xmas day.. and I'm the oldest kid in my family.. :laugh: - Correct ONLY kid at nearly 52 - my siblings are boring....:wacko:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well I managed to make the bolagnese yesterday. TBH I really didn't feel up to it but its all done.
Just need to do the spaghetti when we are ready for it.

Top Bottom