What will your main meal be on christmas day??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Christmas Day will be a full roast dinner with turkey. I’ve cracked the preparation of such dinners and only need to spent an hour in the kitchen.

1. I made the Yorkshire puddings at the start of the month and froze them after cooking (I experimented with a bit of baking powder and they are even bigger than the massive size they already are) so they just need warming.
2. The turkey crown will be cooked in the slow cooker and can be left alone until carving time.
3. All the veg is prepared the day before.
4. For the roasties and parsnips we go for either something like Tescos finest in a metal tray or go homemade and freeze the parboiled vegetables after smothering them in goose fat so they just need cooking in the oven.
5. Pigs in blankets ready made as they are just less hassle all round and can go in the oven.
6. Bistro instant turkey/onion gravy.

For pudding we will have Aldi’s finest chocolate Yule log. Everything is washed down with beer and Buck’s Fizz.

After lunch I kick back and watch the children play with presents and have fun.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Roast turkey with all the trimmings

If Christmas pudding WERE to be made out of figs, I'd eat it like a shot. As it is, dried vine fruits are its major constituents. It's not the flavour which is the issue for me, but the texture of the ingredients - a mouthful of marinated dead flies! But I LOVE brandy butter ...

Whereas I find that brandy butter is the work of Beelzebub.

If you're happy to do a Jack Spratt and pass me your share of the Xmas pud, you can have all the brandy butter this side of the Galactic Rim... :okay:

Same here.
Why on earth is it that many folk simply will not accept that there is no actual illness, problem, offence or insult in the simple fact that I don't like roast dinners? A few weeks ago I had someone almost at the stage of sobbing when I politely turned down an invitation to share Christmas dinner with them, citing my vegetarianism and my dislike (well I said 'not keen, no matter how beautifully cooked') of roast dinners as excuses. It was almost as if I jolly well ought to eat at least part of a Christmas dinner - my vegetarianism could be excused, but not my dislike of a roast dinner!
Similar things have happened in previous years, too.
lost me here knitty - you turned down an invite because of your vegetarianism but you're having sausages for christmas dinner?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Before the blanket is rolled around the pig, I part cook the pigs, dip them in Cranberry sauce before wrapping & rolling and finishing the cooking 🍥

geocycle

Legendary Member
Lots of talk of pigs in blankets. Are these a recent, ie last 10-15 year thing In the UK? I don’t recall them in 1970s Yorkshire. I really only became aware of bacon culture when my son started watching you tube videos.

Alex321

Veteran
Lots of talk of pigs in blankets. Are these a recent, ie last 10-15 year thing In the UK? I don’t recall them in 1970s Yorkshire. I really only became aware of bacon culture when my son started watching you tube videos.
They have always been around, but have certainly become more common in recent years, though I think more than the last 10-15. I think having them readily available pre-prepared in supermarkets is fairly recent.

Jody

Stubborn git
Christmas dinner, followed by as many extra roast potatoes/pigs in blankets I can manage before feeling sick :wahhey:

markemark

Über Member
Turkey and all the trimmings for 12….for the 4 of us. One of us has got a case of the ‘rona so all family disinvited. We’ve signed up for the share a Christmas meal thing for locals but they’ve been inundated so it’s all for us. Turkey sandwiches for the rest of the week.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Memory can't always be trusted, but I'm fairly sure they were a festive staple 30-40 years ago.
Definitely longer than 10-15 years anyway.

lost me here knitty - you turned down an invite because of your vegetarianism but you're having sausages for christmas dinner?

It's my annual treat!

I'm actually pescatarian in that I eat oily fish and some shellfish; however I will quite happily eat 'straight' meat if I know who it comes from and where/how it's been slaughtered, but it gets a bit complex explaining that bit of it, can too easily lead to arguments when that was not my intention at all, and I've only ever met, in person, one person who has a similar concept; they were a high-welfare pig farmer with their own slaughtering and butchering facilities, and so it was a bit (a lot!) easier for them ... so to all intents and purposes I am vegetarian. Much easier to 'explain' in social situations, in fact needs very little explanation at all nowadays and usually - but not always! - works wherever one is in the world.

If I could keep poultry again I'd happily eat that, as I used to.

It's not the eating of meat I'm opposed to but its (often) means of production and the (huge - greatly increased since larger abattoirs became 'the norm') levels of stress associated with the process of slaughter - mostly, to be frank, in the process leading up to the slaughter, rather than the actual death-dealing itself.

So - I'm having Cowman's sausages for Christmas dinner and I have a salmon steak in the freezer which I'll eat some time between Christmas and New Year. I'm not entirely happy with industrially-farmed fish, again it's the handling immediately pre-death which concerns me; the Humane Slaughter Association (of which I am a supporter) has done some excellent work there - although there's still a long way to go. ETA there's realistic evidence of welfare/distress issues with some mass-caught fish from the wild, too. The HSA is looking into that, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom