What will your main meal be on christmas day??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It was the single big extended family gathering and meal. Nothing else the whole year.
Sounds good. Always great to have the full family round.

I'm having (Cumberland) sausage, buttery mash, onion gravy and a pile of mixed veggies. The sausage (from Cowmans of Clitheroe) is of the few breaks in my pescatarian ovo-lacto dietary habits; I LOVE a good sausage.
I was going to have a chunk of cheesecake for 'pudding' on Christmas day, but it looked at me from the fridge when I got back from my bike ride yesterday afternoon, and told me it was lonely - so I ate it. I have a packet of lebkuchen which I'll break into on Saturday instead, and munch on accompanied by a mug of hot mulled wine.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My parents and the father-in-law for a dinner of Roast Beef, pigs in blankets and numerous "trimmings". My better half had previously declared a simpler meal this year, but as it's my turn to cook she's added more and more to the plan!

25th..turkey, 26th..turkey, 27th..turkey, 28th..turkey

I went to the butchers yesterday to collect the rolled turkey crown and when the butcher asked what size we had ordered I had my mind elsewhere and possibly just repeated what the previous customer said. My wife had ordered one about £35 but I told him it was about £50. She's not happy.
It's massive so I'll be looking at the recipe books for meals out of turkey leftovers, or cutting a chunk out of it before cooking, for the freezer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Fortunately, our hosts are in charge of fodder. I read a really favourable review of a complete Christmas meal by Iceland that costs under £17. I suspect that a fair few harassed cooks will be regretting not going that route.

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for brekkie

Chorizo stuffed turkey half crown with all the usual bits, especially pigs in blankets
Cheese for afters. Probably won’t open the port as only I drink it

I've got a lovely pork leg joint that I picked up on yellow sticker. Going to butterfly it out, then stuff it with sausagemeat, orange, dried cranberries, thyme and garlic, and roll it back up. I'm not keen on crackling, so I will glaze it instead. Plus the usual roasties, braised red cabbage, green beans, apple sauce and cranberry sauce, extra stuffing balls and sausagemeat wrapped in bacon. Umm yes, I got the sausagemeat on YS too... Xmas pud and custard - also YS purchases, for afters.

Christmas Eve is actually the bigger deal here, though I don't do the full-blown Polish Wigilia anymore as it's just mum, me and the cats. But we have the traditional herrings and vegetable salad, and I've made a smoked mackerel pate and my own gravlax. Add plenty of bread and butter, and that'll do nicely. Piernik (Lebkuchen) and min spies for afters.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Notts co-op's customer IT system has finally realised that I'm a cheapskate git who only buys reduced/accidentally-good-value products.
Lately I've had £1 off a £5 shop vouchers. Tempting, so much so that I took a stroll down to one of their nearest outlets (there are probably four within reasonable walking distance) to purchase some of their mouth-watering varieties of mince pies. Only one of which was there. As consolation, there were so many incredible yellow-sticker reductions that I had to put one or two full price items in my basket to make sure I was over the £5 mark. Too many to bore you with here, but one was fresh spinach reduced from £1 to 25p. Light bulb moment!
Last week, I'd ventured into the superb corner shop / Italian deli Navarra, and bought far more than I was authorised to do by SWMBO, including a pack of cannelloni. We also happen to have a tub of ricotta (past its sell-by date) and a tub of mascarpone (very close to it) in the fridge. Christmas eve meal will now be my very first attempt at spinach and ricotta cannelloni! Wish me luck!
Oh, and I now have yet another £1 off a £5 shop voucher to use next week (or in the remainder of this one, i.e. tomorrow).

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'm doing a nut roast with vegetables and all the rest of it but I will most likely have a sandwich and some crisps, nibbles etc. I don't like roast dinners and if I never had one ever again that would be totally fine by me. I might have pizza. I'm looking forward to post Boxing day when the supermarkets are less packed and have more day to day food in as well.

Top Bottom