What would cause this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg

Fixing innnertube and after putting air in this appeared , what would cause it ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A faulty tube.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
A faulty tube.

Agreed, but I do not see why it is necessarily a problem. if you inflate the tube inside the tyre I reckon it would be fine since the tyre would equalise the pressure.

If it was me then that is what I would do unless I used the bike for a long commute (then I would probably replace the tube).

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
The tube wall is probably just a bit thinner at that point. It's probably OK when it's constrained by the tyre (or was, until you pumped it up to the size of a small balloon).

Agreed, but I do not see why it is necessarily a problem. if you inflate the tube inside the tyre I reckon it would be fine since the tyre would equalise the pressure.

If it was me then that is what I would do unless I used the bike for a long commute (then I would probably replace the tube).

I've seen odd shaped tubes when semi inflated , just not like that , just s surprise really , looks like a blood pressure pump !
Anyway I'll stick it back in and see , I only put about 10 psi in it , ,
I'd say the tyre will hold it ,

Tangoup51

I've seen odd shaped tubes when semi inflated , just not like that , just s surprise really , looks like a blood pressure pump !
Anyway I'll stick it back in and see , I only put about 10 psi in it , ,
I'd say the tyre will hold it ,

I had a innertube that was deformed, similar to that but no where near as severe. It popped pumping up to about 95 psi.

I would not use it. If there's an unequal balance of inflation in that tube it means either it's thinner there, which is bad, or it means there was an issue in the making of that innertube. Possibly in the vulcanising, I'm not sure.

It's not normal and all of the signs point to it being unsafe. Considering blowouts have massive catastrophic potential, for both you and your bikes wellbeing, and the fact innertubes are inexpensive - you should just replace it.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A few weeks ago I pulled out the box of inner tubes that I had discarded after deflations and had a mammoth testing/patching/retesting session.
Most brands of inner tube inflated unevenly, even supposed quality brands like Michelin & Conti were no better in that respect than the few el cheapos that I hadn't discarded immediately. Schwalbe seemed to inflate the most evenly, but you do have to watch out their valve cores don't unscrew themselves when you remove the pump.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A few weeks ago I pulled out the box of inner tubes that I had discarded after deflations and had a mammoth testing/patching/retesting session.
Most brands of inner tube inflated unevenly, even supposed quality brands like Michelin & Conti were no better in that respect than the few el cheapos that I hadn't discarded immediately. Schwalbe seemed to inflate the most evenly, but you do have to watch out their valve cores don't unscrew themselves when you remove the pump.
That’s because they all come the same place, India, China etc and the same few manufacturers probably.

Top Bottom