What would happen if I did this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

It works with Oreo biscuits, choccy digestives, broken Ginger nut biscuits, broken crunchie, broken Aero bar, Strawberry jam, sliced peaches, Choc chip cookies or even custard creams.

Mars bars or Crème eggs might have to go in the freezer and be smashed up with a hammer in a bag before mixing in.

Cadbury's flake is prob the easiest to blend in at room temperature.

For a real treat, Maryland cookies soaked in Grand Marnier and added as a slurry.

Shortbread biscuits soaked in whiskey or crushed Brandy snaps with Courvoisier.

battered

Guru
Fiona N said:
Oh this is the most sophisticated put-down I think I've ever read on this forum :biggrin:

More please :tongue:

It wasn't intended as a put down! More a case of offering an alternative, pointing out the work has already been done and saying "don't give up the day job, stick with what you're good at":biggrin:

Rip Van

Veteran
jimboalee said:
It works with Oreo biscuits, choccy digestives, broken Ginger nut biscuits, broken crunchie, broken Aero bar, Strawberry jam, sliced peaches, Choc chip cookies or even custard creams.

Mars bars or Crème eggs might have to go in the freezer and be smashed up with a hammer in a bag before mixing in.

Cadbury's flake is prob the easiest to blend in at room temperature.

For a real treat, Maryland cookies soaked in Grand Marnier and added as a slurry.

Shortbread biscuits soaked in whiskey or crushed Brandy snaps with Courvoisier.
Take rest of day off. Recover tomorrow. Plan long run next day. Day after do long run. Recovery day. Plan loading diet day. Make up loading diet day. Repeat cycle.:tongue:

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Oh, the blender I have costs around £1000 brand new (I'm borrowing it, I would never have that much money to blow on something like that!)

It can liquidise nearly anything. Mars bars, crème eggs, oreos etc.. Leaving me with an extremely sugary milk shake, with no lumps.

So simple carbs are no good before a ride? How about during a ride?

on the road

Über Member
Sam Kennedy said:
I was considering making myself my own milkshake before a ride, it would contain:

Milk
Icecream
Mars Bar
Cream Egg
Any other chocolate I can find
Some sugar to sweeten it

Would that amount of sugar keep me fuelled, or would I burn it off quickly?
That sounds very sickly :smile:

jimboalee

Sam Kennedy said:
Oh, the blender I have costs around £1000 brand new (I'm borrowing it, I would never have that much money to blow on something like that!)

It can liquidise nearly anything. Mars bars, crème eggs, oreos etc.. Leaving me with an extremely sugary milk shake, with no lumps.

So simple carbs are no good before a ride? How about during a ride?

Where did you get THAT stupid idea from?

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Aren't sugars a simple carbohydrate? The milkshake I suggested would be full of that, but everyone says it is a bad idea.

Also, wouldn't the sudden jump in blood glucose level cause an insulin response, converting the glucose to glycogen anyway?

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

User3143 said:
If you want to go on a longish ride eat some non refined carbs the night before e.g pasta, brown bread, potatoes and then keep these topped up with refined carbs e.g fizzy drinks and chocolate,

That's what I've already been doing, I was just hoping that milkshake I suggested would actually be of some benefit... if not... maybe a morale booster? :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Choc, fizzy drinks, sugar on a ride...no way unless you've bonked, wobbling off the bike, and are about to fall off. You'll feel great for a few miles, but the insulin will kick in and you'll have a huge low. Cycling is endurance, not a sprint.

Use a 'standard' milshake after a ride as a recovery drink.

Fiona N

Veteran
I seem to recall that cow's milk actually delays the absorption of sugars compared to drinking the sugars in plain water - so a milk shake may be not as bad as it sounds.

Although this specific version sounds disgusting :blush: but then I'm a non-dairy person and my recovery shakes involve bananas and soya milk with added maple syrup if required (i.e. bananas aren't black)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sam Kennedy said:
That's what I've already been doing, I was just hoping that milkshake I suggested would actually be of some benefit... if not... maybe a morale booster? :smile:

It might well work for the latter. Depends how you cope with wild swings in sugar levels. Ah, go ahead. It won't kill you and who knows how funny it'll be until someone tries it?

I've been using shakes to 'recover' from the sweaty commute home this week. Ice, skimmed milk, and whatever powder is to hand (presently a bastard mix of whey protein and slim fast). Beneficial? Probably not. Cooling. Yes. As cooling as just making it with ice and milk? No. A whole heap more fun? Yes. :smile:

Top Bottom