what would you do in this incident?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma25

hello everyone i am new to the forum and this is my first post apart from the welcome post i have done i need some advice regarding a incident i was slightly involved with.

Back story of the incident was i finished the stockton sportive on saturday the 14th july and decided that i would add a lap of the stockton gp main circuit on my ride but when i was crossing a junction a bus had seen me and a car coming from a 60mph road as the car passed and i started to proceed over the junction heading towards wynyard hall from billingham the bus pulled out of the junction after the car had passed making me brake and swerve round the back of the bus to avoid colliding into the side of it. I have contacted the bus company with my complaint and asked for the cctv to be released to me but it hasn't due to GDPR apparently restricting them to but they are prepared to release it to the police if i want to get them involved which i am in two minds about.

so i just want to know what you would do?

just to let you all know that the company was stagecoach

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The bus pulled out on you along a busy 60mph road from a side turning ? Nasty !

A written complaint to the bus company perhaps. Not sure about police without video evidence, although you could try reporting it.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
In reality the police probably won't do anything about it, especially as you were not hurt.
The best you can hope for, I think, is to ask the company themselves to review the CCTV and ensure that any disciplinary action needed is taken against the driver. Retraining, perhaps. That, if they will do it, is as likely to result in him or her driving more safely in the future as a police caution would be.
I presume you don't have a video yourself?

OP
OP
J

jamma25

In reality the police probably won't do anything about it, especially as you were not hurt.
The best you can hope for, I think, is to ask the company themselves to review the CCTV and ensure that any disciplinary action needed is taken against the driver. Retraining, perhaps. That, if they will do it, is as likely to result in him or her driving more safely in the future as a police caution would be.
I presume you don't have a video yourself?

No video but now looking into a under garmin mount for a go pro camera

OneArmedBandit

Trying to envisage it, if you swerved around the back of the bus that sounds like the bus driver had almost completely pulled out? Did you not have time to stop as soon as you saw it moving?

To be honest I always expect bus drivers to pull out. I am sympathetic to a point, they are large vehicles and quite often you see car drivers actively trying to prevent them getting out.

I just watch the wheels and as soon as you see them inching forward you know they are considering pulling out and you need to be on your guard. Although they are at fault IMO an alert cyclist shouldn't be hitting the back of a bus.

Top Bottom