What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I bought myself a new to me Dawes Stratos road bike at the weekend and proceeded to do some fettling.

The only thing I can really fault is the right hand shifter. Basically it's crap.

Now I've read about old STI shifters getting clogged up as the lube turns to paste, but it's had a good de-greasing today and it's still not working, so right now I'm of the assumption it's FUBAR

I'm not too fussed by this, but I'm now torn as to what to do next, my options as I see it are:
  1. Revert back to downtube shifters and replace the STI's with standard drop levers.
  2. Replace the 8 speed STI's with newer ones, (Sora for example)
  3. Update the drivetrain with 9 speed STI's, cassette and chain
Option 1 - Cheapest option but not the preferred one in this day and age TBH
Option 2 - Could be relatively cheap but I don't like thumb shifters
Option 3 - The most expensive option, and I'm skint!
So what would you do? FWIW the rear drop outs are 130mm and the rear freehub body is HG compatible.
Time is not critical, but I am an impatient fecker, although what ever I decide will have to wait until funds improve, so if it's option 3 I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Peteaud

Veteran
Option 3 if you keep it long term

Option 1 if not

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
i would go to down tube levers as more keeping with age of bike
That was my first thought, but my worry if I do that is I won't use the bike as much if I don't like using them. FYI, I haven't used downtube shifters since about 1984!

Accountantpete has some Sora shifters for sale I've got dibs on, and there is a retro 105 groupset on fleabay. I might try and get the gruppo just for the shifters as I really think I'd use the bike more TBH.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That was my first thought, but my worry if I do that is I won't use the bike as much if I don't like using them. FYI, I haven't used downtube shifters since about 1984!

Accountantpete has some Sora shifters for sale I've got dibs on, and there is a retro 105 groupset on fleabay. I might try and get the gruppo just for the shifters as I really think I'd use the bike more TBH.
smokeysmoo i can honestly say i have never used STi's !!!!!

all my current useable bikes are all down tube mounted and only the Tandem and the olde Bear valley are bar mounted shifters is trigger type

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
smokeysmoo I can honestly say i have never used STi's !!!!!
That doesn't surprise me biggs, I've seen the bikes you buy :tongue:

I've just remembered that I did ride an 80's Peugeot I bought around the block a couple of years ago, (then stripped it and restored it as a modern 10 speed conversion:blush:) that had downtube shifters, and it sort of frightened me:thumbsdown:, BUT, the bike was not ideal size wise, and it was only just barely functional at the time TBH.

On one hand I'm quite liking the whole retro downtube theme, and TBH it won't break the bank if I don't like it, and considering the riding I'll be doing on this bike I won't need the ability to have lightening gear changes either, oh I'm confused.com.

On the hand I do like my brifters. Actually I don't like the term brifters, but that's probably just me becoming a grumpy old man I suspect, (after all I am 40 in two days!)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I'd never even considered bar ends TBH, that's another spanner in the works now.

I've never used them, any experiences to relay?

Light, simple, inexpensive, nothing much to go wrong, if it does easy to disassemble and fix. Cable runs need some thought, 25" frame might need tandem gear cable to reach rear mech. Ergonomic is a personal thing.

You mentioned you don't like thumb shifters on sti. Otherwise in case you are unaware you can simply swap the fubar Shimano 8 sti's with any Campag 10 (which can be cheap, new pair for £60 from e.g. Ribble). They happen to pull practically exactly the same amount of cable, so no need to change chain or cassette.

The most inexpensive options are probably bar mounted paddle/thumb shifters, which do exist.

Top Bottom