What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
You can simply swap the fubar Shimano 8 sti's with any Campag 10 (which can be cheap, new pair for £60 from e.g. Ribble).
Ooo I didn't know that, although Veloce has thumb shifts too doesn't it?, but any Campag 10 speed? Hmmm food for thought :mrpig:
Light, simple, inexpensive, nothing much to go wrong, if it does easy to disassemble and fix. Cable runs need some thought, 25" frame might need tandem gear cable to reach rear mech. Ergonomic is a personal thing.
I've just been looking at bar end shifter install vids and info, and yes I'd imagine cable run being rather fun, especially on my behemoth!
The most inexpensive options are probably bar mounted paddle/thumb shifters, which do exist.
Oi, Record, Nooooo! :ninja: I know the things you mean, like an internet BSO for instance, not happening.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ooo I didn't know that, although Veloce has thumb shifts too doesn't it?, but any Campag 10 speed? Hmmm food for thought :mrpig:

Just for completeness, depending on model running a triple front could be somewhat problematic regarding setup. No issue with doubles.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Down Tube Shifters all the way. R400 shifters 8 speed - about £30 if you look round. BL R400 Brake Levers for about the same or less.

I still use down tube shifters on both road bikes. Never had the need to change, and TBH they change gear just as well as STI, and significantly lighter/less issues. I always giggle to myself on Sportives when we hit hills, and all the crunching and grinding coming from STI users, and me, it's click click, in gear.

HovR

Über Member
Another vote for DT shifters. Simple, affordable and the minimized cable run makes the front end of the bike look nice and 'clean looking' compared to STI's (in my opinion).

Or if you want something on the bars, I'd recommend bar end shifters.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies guys, but after getting some wonga for my birthday I've managed to source some parts now so I should be sorted.

[EDIT] Parts arrived today and are going straight back as mis-described, grrrr! :cursing:

So I'm back on the lookout for 7 speed downtube shifters if anyone's got any lying about.

The bike has braze-ons on the downtube if that helps :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if THESE could be detached from the band so I could fit them directly to the downtube of my bike? Hate sounding like a noob but I'm only got very vague recollections of downtube shifters :blush:

Top Bottom