What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A Cyclist

Über Member
If you were offered a job from one of the competitor firms, but your current firm trying to negotiate
a deal to match or out-do the offer. If matched or out-done, would you stay or leave? Is it
morally right to stay back or will it not send a bad message to other colleauges?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Difficult... did you apply to the other firm or did they approach you? If you applied then I would get them to raise their offer as high as they will and go, if not, accept the higher offer to stay.

TeeQue

I heard somewhere you should never stay at a job once you have stated your desire to leave. Even though they may well offer a package in order to keep you there will always be a suspicion you're about to leave or looking for something else and the level of trust just won't be there.

Just my two cents, if you're feeling brave I'd be tempted to let the new potential new employer know about the offer and they might match it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Are you happy in your job? If yes, that to me adds about 10% to the cost to the new firm to prise me away. If possible I'd try to play them off against each other but you have to remember your current employer may not look favourably on this approach.

I think decide what you want remuneration wise (as a package so include leave, Cycle to work scheme etc) and see who gets closest.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I heard somewhere you should never stay at a job once you have stated your desire to leave. Even though they may well offer a package in order to keep you there will always be a suspicion you're about to leave or looking for something else and the level of trust just won't be there.

Just my two cents, if you're feeling brave I'd be tempted to let the new potential new employer know about the offer and they might match it.
This depends on the size of the organisation. If you work for a 10 man band then yes I agree entirely, loyalty is an important factor to the employer (and should be returned by the way). If you work for a large organisation loyalty doesn't come into it. I work for UK Gov and I know that they have no loyalty to me whatsoever and so likewise I offer none to them. My bosses know that any offer that overcomes my natural inertia will be taken.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is it not a case of whether you enjoy your current job? I know Mr Summerdays would bit someone's hand off if they offered him a job at an alternative company, his current employers treat him awfully. As an example when his father died last year, he put in a request for a days leave to attend the funeral. His line manager never authorized it, he just took the day off anyway. So look at the whole job not just the pay packet!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Is it not a case of whether you enjoy your current job? I know Mr Summerdays would bit someone's hand off if they offered him a job at an alternative company, his current employers treat him awfully. As an example when his father died last year, he put in a request for a days leave to attend the funeral. His line manager never authorized it, he just took the day off anyway. So look at the whole job not just the pay packet!
Agreed.
My hubby's employers are a huge company and are awful!
I took ill a few years back when he was at work. I needed to go to hospital and they said he could leave work, take me there and then get back to work as no-one would cover him.
I was left in the hospital on my own, late at night, in pain and frightened. I required an emergency blood transfusion and a total hysterectomy.

Funnily enough his supervisor/managers take time off for appointments and other stuff and bend the rules whenever they want for themselves. It makes me mad but in the current climate, a job is a job :sad:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Once you've said you're leaving you should go, even if your employer comes up with a good offer. As mentioned, they will know you've got itchy feet and that'll impact on the relationship. But also, if they thought you were worth more than your current salary, why didn't they pay it before you said you were leaving?

sazzaa

Agreed.
I took ill a few years back when he was at work. I needed to go to hospital and they said he could leave work, take me there and then get back to work as no-one would cover him.
I was left in the hospital on my own, late at night, in pain and frightened. I required an emergency blood transfusion and a total hysterectomy.

Funnily enough his supervisor/managers take time off for appointments and other stuff and bend the rules whenever they want for themselves. It makes me mad but in the current climate, a job is a job :sad:

That's just a power trip, if you tell them to do one in a situation like that, there's not all that much they can do about it, especially in larger companies with HR Departments.

OP
OP
A Cyclist

A Cyclist

Über Member
Once you've said you're leaving you should go, even if your employer comes up with a good offer. As mentioned, they will know you've got itchy feet and that'll impact on the relationship. But also, if they thought you were worth more than your current salary, why didn't they pay it before you said you were leaving?

I see the point here and this what makes me incline more torwards leaving. Thanks for the comment.

ScotiaLass

Guru
That's just a power trip, if you tell them to do one in a situation like that, there's not all that much they can do about it, especially in larger companies with HR Departments.
I agree. They are bullies and can make his working life a misery so he just tends to tow the line.

Top Bottom