What would you eat before a...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...15 mile commute with 1,000 feet of ascent at 7am

...16 mile commute with 1,200 feet of ascent at 5.30pm

...52 mile weekend ride with 4,500 feet of ascent at 9am

I can't stand bananas, so they are out :smile:

Klaus

porridge!!

For a 7am start, I wouldn't eat unless I woke up at about 4, I'd rather not be digesting breakfast while I'm riding and the body should have enough fuel stored to cope with 15miles... Would take a bottle of energy drink and sip from that, then have something to eat at the other end.

For the 5.30 commute just a normal lunch and maybe a couple of snacks in the afternoon.

Weekend ride, toast/cereal/porridge. And take a few snacks for the ride.

amaferanga

Veteran
If its just a commute then I'd have some porridge an hour or so before I set off. Eating 3 hours plus before a ride is the right thing to do for a race where you'll be burying yourself, but for a commute it really should be okay provided you give yourself a little bit of time before setting off and don't ride like you're racing.

In the afternoon I'd just have a normal lunch and then a muesli bar some time before setting off.

In fact this is almost exactly what I do for my commute/training which varies between 10 miles each way and a ~60mile round trip.

monnet

Guru
Porridge - always, regardless of the distance, in the morning.

If it's a race (usually about 60 miles), I'll have a banana and/or a few bites of an energy bar just before the start.

If it's the afternoon, I usually make sure I have a decent lunch and something high in energy as a mid afternoon snack (malt loaf) and that will keep me going for plenty more than 16 miles at a reasonable pace. If it's a chaingang/ race night I'll probably have a slice of toast with Nutella or peanut butter an hour before we start.

lulubel

Über Member
1 & 3 - my normal breakfast, which is cornflakes, allbran, sliced banana and milk (I know you said you can't stand bananas, but you asked us what we would eat ......)

2 - lunch at the usual time, plus a cereal bar or some fruit mid-afternoon, which I'd eat anyway

OP
OP
G

guttertrash

Über Member
Pretty much what I'm doing then. Sometimes I skip breakfast and do the commute, then have a bowl of porridge when I get there. I dont usually have anything before the ride home though, so I may get some 'healthy' snack bars.

its the weekend ride that tends to do me in though, so perhaps have a larger evening meal the day before, and a good breakfast before the ride instead of just a bowl of porridge.

Top Bottom